How to get adult chickens to love you????

Thanks again for fixing it for me! (and telling me hoe to fix it myself)
big_smile.png

No problemo PDS3

I note that you are also in Aus ... I have no financial interest in the following and just a recommendation for you if you do want to try some.

I order my meal worms from Martyn’s Mealworms:

http://www.martynsmealworms.com.au/

I have found his to be the best prices and his service is also excellent. I order on a Sunday usually, they are posted Monday and arrive at my door on Tuesday.

You can also farm them yourself but I am time poor and really do not need more critters to look after so I take the easy way out
wink.png

No problemo PDS3

I note that you are also in Aus ... I have no financial interest in the following and just a recommendation for you if you do want to try some.

I have found his to be the best prices and his service is also excellent. I order on a Sunday usually, they are posted Monday and arrive at my door on Tuesday.

You can also farm them yourself but I am time poor and really do not need more critters to look after so I take the easy way out
wink.png

Thanks so much I will check them out!

No problemo PDS3

wink.png

I will check them out, thanks!

The best thing is to take a chair and sit still in the run. Chickens are prey, so scooping them up is considered a threatening condition. If you sit quietly, just watching, they will relax around you. Toss out some feed, but away from you. The next day, put it a bit closer to you. The next day, a bit closer still. They will calm down, and eventually, even jump up on your lap.

Note: They may and probably will calm down. Some may never like being handled. Some breeds are better than others at being handled, but some depends on the individual birds. Personally, I found that I just like watching them. I really don't like them on my lap. Do be careful, they have been known to peck at anything shiny, such as earrings or your eyes. No matter how calm they become, they won't ever really love you, they have a very small brain. They may however, come to accept you as part of the flock or the surroundings, most probably a source of food and treats.

Mrs K

The best thing is to take a chair and sit still in the run. Chickens are prey, so scooping them up is considered a threatening condition. If you sit quietly, just watching, they will relax around you. Toss out some feed, but away from you. The next day, put it a bit closer to you. The next day, a bit closer still. They will calm down, and eventually, even jump up on your lap.

Note: They may and probably will calm down. Some may never like being handled. Some breeds are better than others at being handled, but some depends on the individual birds. Personally, I found that I just like watching them. I really don't like them on my lap. Do be careful, they have been known to peck at anything shiny, such as earrings or your eyes. No matter how calm they become, they won't ever really love you, they have a very small brain. They may however, come to accept you as part of the flock or the surroundings, most probably a source of food and treats.

Mrs K

Thanks for the advice!

My chickens adore group hugs. All I need to do is get down on my knees and they come right to me to get snuggled. How did I get my chickens to do this?

For some reason, chickens like closeness, but they want it to be their idea. To begin the process, do as Mrs K suggests. Just sit calmly and quietly in the run so your chickens can get to know you and be comfortable around you. Do it for a week.

Next toss out some treats sparingly, grain, meal worms, dry cat food. Do it for a week.

Next week, don't toss the treats, but hold them in your hand with arm outstretched. Little by little they'll eat from your hand. Do it for a week.

Next, hold the treats close in toward your body so they need to come close to get them. Do it for a week.

Now, as they take the treats, touch them lightly on the breast or side of the neck, not the back. The back area of a chicken is the place where aggression take place, such as mating and conflict between rivals and punishment by ranking flock members. It's not a place where chickens will welcome an affectionate touch so stay away from the back.

After your chickens are comfortable coming in close to get treats and being stroked, then you should be able to bring them in close for snuggles. Soon they will come right to you when they see you kneel down. Don't be disappointed if all of them don't warm up to you at the same time. Once one does, the others see it and they will also want to be included. Yes, chickens get jealous. It's so charming!

MRS K & azygours method works!

I inherited 5 Blue Wynadotte Pullets (7month) earlier this month. I've been feeding & cleaning their Run/Coop, talking to them, sitting with them & more talking. After the first week, they're waiting for me at the door at feeding time, I sit & 2 of them will come up very close to check me out. MealWorms don't work with these girls :( but they're coming on their own & not freaking out when I'm in the Run.

Today I wanted to dust them (2wks with me), thought I'd have a real ruckus but aside from a small chase & squawk it was stress free & not much of a fight with the dusting. They weren't tense, one even went to sleep with the massage :) This is the first time I didn't raise my girls from chicks, I never thought I'd ever be able to get close to them but finding letting them come to me works the best.

Maybe someday I'll get a "group hug" like azygous :) Don't rush them, don't chase, treats are a plus....Mine are slowly learning what treats are. It's so very RELAXING just sitting in the Run/Coop with them :)

No problemo PDS3

I have found his to be the best prices and his service is also excellent.  I order on a Sunday usually, they are posted Monday and arrive at my door on Tuesday.

You can also farm them yourself but I am time poor and really do not need more critters to look after so I take the easy way out ;)  

I just looked at them and thinking of trying them out. I just get mine from the pet shop and usually are all half dead by then. Or I have dried ones.

Back
Top Bottom