How to get different egg colors in Ameraucanas?

cjpines

Songster
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
I have two Ameraucanas, one white and carmel color who lays blue eggs. One wheat color also lays blue eggs.

I would like to get two more birds age 8 weeks, but I would like to know what color chicken to get that will lay other colors of eggs besides blue.

What do I look for? Thank you.

I have two Ameraucanas, one white and carmel color who lays blue eggs. One wheat color also lays blue eggs.

I would like to get two more birds age 8 weeks, but I would like to know what color chicken to get that will lay other colors of eggs besides blue.

What do I look for? Thank you.

Not sure I'm understanding what you are asking as your title seems to imply you want advice on choosing Ameraucanas for different egg colors - but Ameraucanas are a blue egg laying breed.
What color(s) eggs are you wanting to get? Knowing the color(s) you are looking for will help in advising which breeds would be good choices.

Not sure I'm understanding what you are asking as your title seems to imply you want advice on choosing Ameraucanas for different egg colors - but Ameraucanas are a blue egg laying breed.
What color(s) eggs are you wanting to get? Knowing the color(s) you are looking for will help in advising which breeds would be good choices.
I'm looking for any colors other than blue for variety. Yellow, pink, green, etc. I thought all Ameraucanas produced different colors, must be wrong. Yes, would like to know other breeds that produce colored eggs. Thank you

If I understand correctly, you are wondering if the different colored Ameracaunas will lay different colored eggs. I don't have a lot of experience, but I have seen many different colored eggs from Easter Eggers. The one I have lays green eggs and we just got a light colored chick whose mother lays the brighter turquoise eggs. I don't know if the egg color can be tied to the coloring of the hen/rooster or is only genetic and not connected to the coloration of the bird.

True purebred Ameraucanas lay blue eggs. Many mixed breed chickens that are erroneously called americanas will lay other color eggs - these crossbred birds are often called Easter Eggers (or EE's for short).

There are many different breed that lay white and varying shades of brown eggs, from pale pinkish to dark chocolate brown, as well as crossbreeds that lay olive-colored eggs.

Back
Top Bottom