How to get different egg colors in Ameraucanas?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cjpines, Feb 14, 2015.

1. cjpines

cjpines Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Placerville, CA
    I have two Ameraucanas, one white and carmel color who lays blue eggs. One wheat color also lays blue eggs.

I would like to get two more birds age 8 weeks, but I would like to know what color chicken to get that will lay other colors of eggs besides blue.

What do I look for? Thank you.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Not sure I'm understanding what you are asking as your title seems to imply you want advice on choosing Ameraucanas for different egg colors - but Ameraucanas are a blue egg laying breed.
    What color(s) eggs are you wanting to get? Knowing the color(s) you are looking for will help in advising which breeds would be good choices.

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

This is the same question asked in another thread.... If you want different colored eggs, you will have to buy a different breed of chicken.

4. cjpines

Apr 30, 2014
    Placerville, CA
    I'm looking for any colors other than blue for variety. Yellow, pink, green, etc. I thought all Ameraucanas produced different colors, must be wrong. Yes, would like to know other breeds that produce colored eggs. Thank you

5. cjpines

Apr 30, 2014
    Placerville, CA
    What are the different breeds that product colors, thank you

6. SusanPC

SusanPC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2014
    Southwest Florida
    If I understand correctly, you are wondering if the different colored Ameracaunas will lay different colored eggs. I don't have a lot of experience, but I have seen many different colored eggs from Easter Eggers. The one I have lays green eggs and we just got a light colored chick whose mother lays the brighter turquoise eggs. I don't know if the egg color can be tied to the coloring of the hen/rooster or is only genetic and not connected to the coloration of the bird.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    True purebred Ameraucanas lay blue eggs. Many mixed breed chickens that are erroneously called americanas will lay other color eggs - these crossbred birds are often called Easter Eggers (or EE's for short).

There are many different breed that lay white and varying shades of brown eggs, from pale pinkish to dark chocolate brown, as well as crossbreeds that lay olive-colored eggs.

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Easter Eggers are obviousy what you are looking for. But, I am pretty sure you will not find a breed that lays yellow eggs.

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  10. cjpines

Apr 30, 2014
    Placerville, CA
    Excellent link, thank you that answers my questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by