How to get her to stop laying in the sandbox?

RachelJoy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
We just started getting our first eggs (or so we thought). At least 2 of our 5 hens have been laying, as we've been getting brown eggs and green eggs. No white ones from our one white leghorn yet . . . or so we thought.

This afternoon we opened up the kids sandbox for the first time in weeks, if not months, and there in the corner was a nice little nest of 18 white eggs and one golf ball. Quite a surprise! A little disappointed that we missed this first dozen +, as I imagine some have been there for 3 weeks in some hot and humid weather. No plans to eat them.

Now, how do we get her to stop laying there, and start laying in the nesting box, or at least next to the wood pile as some of the others do?

At least we know where to check every day, but it would be nice for her to be a good little hen and lay where she should.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Rachel

Try making the sandbox chickenproof, so that she can't lay in there at all. Hopefully, she'll get the hint and start laying with the rest of the girls. If that doesn't work, try locking her in the coop for a few days, drastic-but it might be necessary.
smile.png

I agree with the previous post. I would also chicken proof the sand box and if she doesn't lay in the nest boxes then I would shut her in the coop for a few days. I also have golf balls in my nest boxes. Some people use fake eggs.

IMG_0651.jpg
0331091759.jpg

Back
Top Bottom