how to get my hens to lay

dtl2013

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 26, 2012
Alabama
Hey everbody Im new to this,

I have 4 RIR hens and 1 RIR rooster..my hens are 25 weeks old and havnt started laying yet..is there any way i can jump start them to start layin ? or feed them something ?

Are you sure they're not laying? If they free-range they could be leaving their eggs in hiding places. If you live in the south, you might have an egg-eating snake coming into the barn. There's not one feed that will get them to start, but if they are skinny and weak they won't be able to lay. Put them on a sound, sensible diet (info here: http://hencam.com/faq/what-to-feed-your-chickens/) and make sure that they have plenty of water! I'm sure you'll have eggs soon.

There not free range they stay in my coop...my hensare starting to lose their feathers is that a sighn for anything ?

Hey everbody Im new to this,

I have 4 RIR hens and 1 RIR rooster..my hens are 25 weeks old and havnt started laying yet..is there any way i can jump start them to start layin ?

Have you tried squeezing them real hard?
lau.gif

Last edited:
wow thats funny
lau.gif
...yes they are on a healthy diet and i checked every spot in coop...i guess il wait a couple of weeks and see what happens

Back
Top Bottom