How to get Pieds

I have the white eyed charcoal and the split to charcoal hen but I never got the answer as to what other white genes the hen carried cause Deerman passed away. These 2 were in a pen by themselves and the eggs were marked with a "C" before removing from the pen. Deerman told me not to sell the chicks from last year so I could see what they turned out to be. He was not surprised at what was hatched so I am assuming he might've expecting something like that cause all he said was he never bred those two together but wondered what would hatch. That is when I replied "Is there white in the hen or more white in the peacock?" cause I did not know where the pure white was coming from. He said the charcoal did have silver pied in him and he will check his records for the hen as he thought she had white in her as well. Also added that the charcoal male didn't show any white eyes til he grew in his tail in 2010. This charcoal male I believe is about 6-7 years old cause he was around 5 when I got him from Deerman and this is my second season with him. I hatched a couple eggs this year and sold the rest of the eggs. The ones that hatched were 2 pieds and an IB with white flights. I also broke open the last 3 eggs that did not hatch and there was 1 pied, 1 white and an IB colored one. The lady who bought one set of 4 eggs did tell me she hatched a pied and the other 3 eggs were a brown chick and she said a white/yellow color chick, the 4th egg did not develope. The guy who bought the other eggs said he hatched a brown and white chick but the bird didn't make it and the rest did not hatch due to him going away for work and no one watching the eggs and the incubator ran dry for a couple days. I try to keep good records LOL.

When I picked the birds up Deerman gave me the charcoal w/e and it's mate an IB split to charcoal hen. He then gave me a 2 year old hen, another IB split to charcoal and told me that you will get some colorful birds when she starts breeding with the charcoal w/e. The older hen laid 4 eggs and then fell off the perch dead during a severe thunderstorm. I have the Pied son from her and sold the other 2 IB (split to charcoal) chicks, one egg was cracked and did not hatch. So the only hens left were the 2 yr old split to charcoal hen and a purple BS hen. I thought the "whites" were BS until Deerman told me that the BS was still to young to lay eggs and that is why the charcoal constantly chased her and he added that there would be no whites from her and the charcoal, just IB. I then removed the purple BS from the pen.

Unfortunately I do not know the background of the birds I bought from Deerman and if his family tossed out the records then I will never know
idunno.gif
Are you saying that none of the "white" chicks lived? If that is the case, I have some thoughts on it.

Wisher 1000,,this is the only picture I think I took of my Charcoal male and that was back in August.If you really want to see what he will look like,I'll post a pic of his father owned by Jeanna Motz,Bigcreekpoultry on here.I hatched this guy from a shipped egg 2 years ago,this was his first breeding season and I only had one chick hatch but many quitters.

Here is Smokey,,father of my Kingsford,,I think he will be 6 years old this summer.My boy will look identical to him,as I've seen Smokey in person this summer.He is a Charcoal dark pied w/e.He is wall paper-poster quality,,better yet x-mas card quality!!

Arbor, No the white ones I hatched did not die. I sold almost all the charcoal eggs this year and only a few hatched for those people. Some of the chicks that did not hatch for those people were white, IB and pied.

Frenchy - beautiful pictures. My charcoal white eye looks similar, but I can never get a picture of him with his train open LOL. Funny how the eye feathers in the train are so small in charcoal w/e compared to the other peas.

Yoda - any chance of some pics of those parent birds?

FBC - sooo jealous my charcoal is not white eyed now....

Last edited:
Arbor, No the white ones I hatched did not die. I sold almost all the charcoal eggs this year and only a few hatched for those people. Some of the chicks that did not hatch for those people were white, IB and pied.

Sorry, I meant all the white ones that would have originated from the Charcoal eggs.

Arbor, I went back into all my "started threads" and saved emails from Deerman and found out some information I guess I did not pay attention to. The charcoal w/e is actually split to pied and the IB split to charcoal hen also has pied in her as well. Here are some pictures of the charcoal w/e and hens:
The hen (also has white in her) in this picture passed away during a bad storm and I have her son an IB pied split to charcoal.

The IB plit to charcoal hen also has pied in her and the mother to to 10 charcoal chicks as mention earlier

I also found out in my past posts that Zues my Silver Pied is actually split to PEACH!

Here are 9 of the babies, the 3rd from the left is an adult hen I believe.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom