How to get Pieds

What is the usual ratio of IB, white, pied and/or other varieties from a mating of (or for) pieds? Not looking for hard and fast numbers, just a general idea.

I don't think anyone answered this for you, so here's the info.
Pied birds represent a combination of white and pied genes (they have one of each). White birds have two copies of the white gene, Dark pied birds have two copies of the pied gene.
Pied bird bred to white bird = 50% white, 50% pied. Pied bird bred to Pied bird = 25% white, 50% pied, and 25% dark pied. Dark pied bred to white bird = 100% pied birds (this is your best combo if you are breeding to sell pied birds). Dark pied bird bred to pied bird = 50% dark pied, 50% pied.

I hope to have a breeding/genetics search available which will allow you to find out what offspring you can hatch from breeding Peacock A to Peahen B. The trial version should be up in the next couple weeks. It will only be available short term for feedback and input/ideas.

Thank you, Arbor! Now, if you can tell me what the difference is between a pied and an dark pied........
a pied bird is visually (looks like a pied) pied bird (they will carry one copy of the pied gene and one copy of the white gene, both are needed to have a bird that is visually pied). Dark pieds usually have a white throat patch and some white flights. These birds will be carrying two copies of the pied gene and no copies of the white gene.

Okay, so with that information, I have to assume that both parent birds (I saw them and took pics with my phone but didn't know what to look for) were dark pieds as they looked like IB's (to me) and both had one white flight feather and the skin just below their bottom jaw was white. Correct? My next question is - Is it important to keep the bloodlines diverse or can they be closely bred like chickens? For example, if the pea I have is a male, and he is bred to his mother, would that be bad? Wouldn't that give me pieds?

This is my dark pied black shoulder male as a three year old, you can see part of my silver pied hen in front of him:

This is their silver pied son as a yearling:

And for an added surprise for me, this is their chick from this year, I am waiting to see what color it will be, zazouse said possibly cameo?:

Oh, Frosty! Both of those boys are beautiful, but the yearling is stunning! That is what I want to raise. Do you ever sell chicks? I don't think I could drive to ND (North Dakota?) but I am in love with that bird! And since Bemba won't send me his, I will have to find what I want over here!
cool.png

The throat patch on your dark pied is larger than the one on the father of my white. His was just the bare white skin underneath his beak that was white. Was that actually a throat patch, or just the normal color of all peas?

Last edited:
They are beautiful for sure.

My cameo baby had orange barring on her feathers, yoursa looks like it has gray barring, is that what i see in the photo?
Do you know what the parents of the eggs were?

This is my dark pied black shoulder male as a three year old, you can see part of my silver pied hen in front of him:

This is their silver pied son as a yearling:

And for an added surprise for me, this is their chick from this year, I am waiting to see what color it will be, zazouse said possibly cameo?:

Beautiful birds. :love

Back
Top Bottom