how to get rid of bats?

Quote:
Did you actually READ that article? If so, you'd know that birds and poultry carry it also, so DONT HANDLE OR PICK UP CHICKEN POOP.

Right...

it is kina like asbestos when it is wet it is not so much a danger as when it is dry and blowing around I tend to use gloves and mask when I handle any poop. I have seen too many folks get sick from not taking safety precautions, ever so occasionally I work for a fellow who does pigeon abatement we wear the bunnysuits respirators and so forth while we are doing a cleanup most of the time I just capture mammals
smile.png

Quote:
Did you actually READ that article? If so, you'd know that birds and poultry carry it

Yea I have probably known this for 25-30 years or so LOL

also, so DONT HANDLE OR PICK UP CHICKEN POOP.

Right...

Bats are your friends. Buy or build a bat house and hang it from the side of the barn to relocate them away from the chicken area. Either that or seal off the area where the bats are roosting to prevent the guano from falling to the ground.

Oh, I wish I had bats! I love visiting the Congress Street Bridge in Austin, Texas in the summer; they have the largest colony of Mexican Freetailed bats in the world. At dusk, you can stand on the bridge (best place is the tree line on the south side of the bridge) and watch the bats leave for their foraging. It is a colony of about 2 million bats! Standing on the bridge when they start leaving, it looks like you could walk on a road of bats. Google it; it is really neat...

I agree with the bat house idea. Make a place that they would rather be and most of them will go there. Bat guano is a wonderful fertilizer. Google that too. What you don't want to do is to handle any bats, especially if they seem sick or 'friendly'. Do not obsess over diseases that you could contract; it would be like saying 'never touch the dirt because you could catch anthrax or leopracy'... (I'll bet you won't).

I actually have bat houses around the property to attract them. They are great for keeping the mosquitos at bay which carry all sorts of diseases. They seem to like sweeping our pool for a drink in the evening but usually don't go near us or the pool if someone is in it. Occassionally I have one in the house, but we have a big fish net and just scoop and toss out the door.

E

We are planning on building some bat house we only have a few bats around here now and the bugs know it. I love the bats they sure keeps those mosquitoes away. I would build some flooring under them and leave them there or build a bat house and have them move there.

I'd LOVE to have your bats! Consider yourself a lucky one. Put up some bat houses if you want to control where the poop goes, other than that, just imagine those thousands of mosquitoes that are NOT biting you because they are there!

Quote:
OMG Me too. I have been talking about building them all spring. I was supposed to have some built for me in exchange for the old bee hives I gave away. But I'm not counting on it.

Bats RULE.... Big time when you have a huge pond in your front yard
big_smile.png

I have a bat house with one little bat that lives in it. I was so thrilled that first summer evening I heard the wings fluttering from the bat house.

We were walking past my house and noticed a bat flying out of the shutter by the window. I was so happy! I decided that my boyfriend now has to help build actual bat houses (on top of everything else I am forcing him to build).

Back
Top Bottom