How to get rid of mites?

Mar 5, 2020
Not sure if this is the right area to post in or not...I think my chicken coop may have mites and I'm not sure how to get rid of them? Is there any more natural ways to get rid of them? I've been told putting a piece of cedar tree in will get rid of them...but then some people say that is toxic to the chickens? Any help would be appreciated

I think my chicken coop may have mites
Make sure first, then use permethrin dust and/or spray.

Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @NewChickenOwner45
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1583847134626.png

One of my Silkies just came up with Mites and we are treating with Daily spray and rub down with a spray of Cottonseed Oil and Clove Oil, after cleaning out the entire coop and spraying it down. It seems to have gotten rid of them.
I plan to keep doing it for a few days to make sure we get any unhatched mites that were there.

Back
Top Bottom