How to get started??

I built my coop and run for 6, but now I am building an extension / addon that will add space for 4 chickens, both coop and run extensions.

My plan is to add 3 to my flock each April and cull 3 each fall. This way I always have 3 first year layers in the fall and winter months to get eggs even during molting season for the older birds. Culling prior to the onset of molt will save me 3 birds feed cost in an unproductive season. Plus I’ll get to enjoy a wide variety of different kinds of chickens as time goes by. This spring I’ll be adding breeds 7 through 9. The next spring (2020) I’ll likely have a repeat breed or two, as I’ll have some favorites by then that I won’t want my flock to be without.

I based my decision to add and cull on this:
https://nwedible.com/chicken-rotation-optimizing-for-year-round-laying-from-the-backyard-flock/

Do breed research. There are so many out there, I started with Buff Orpingtons, because I wanted something that was friendly and 'bears confinement well' some breeds don't, and they are great if you can free range. I knew from the start I would not. Be able to put mine in the pot, so calm and friendly was my criteria. Then I got 3 EE, that had basically been left to forage on their own, , now I have a mix, but all large birds with compatible temperaments.
Build a coop you can clean without becoming a contortionist. Secure from predators, because everyone wants chicken for dinner
Welcome

My tentative plan is to build an 8x8' shed coop with a large attached run (dimensions tbd but probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 15x20'). So that should be plenty for a max of 15-16 birds, I figure. I just need to decide how many to get initially, and how many to add how often. Lots of time to figure it all out. I will definitely build the coop and run prior to getting chicks. The thread about mistakes people have made has been SO helpful for learning and planning!!

My tentative plan is to build an 8x8' shed coop with a large attached run (dimensions tbd but probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 15x20'). So that should be plenty for a max of 15-16 birds, I figure. I just need to decide how many to get initially, and how many to add how often. Lots of time to figure it all out. I will definitely build the coop and run prior to getting chicks. The thread about mistakes people have made has been SO helpful for learning and planning!!
Unless a good part of your run is weather proofed an 8x8 coop will not be enough for 15-16 birds in the Cabin Fever parts of winter...twice that would be good.

You're doing well to start with lots of research.
I spent the winter before building coop reading this and other chicken forums...
....but bring your grains of salt.
I took notes and saved links in a word doc(you can search it) and a spreadsheet with headers like coops, roosts, nests, dosages, predators, etcetcetc.

Links in my signature are some good reading if you haven't stumbled across them already.

Oh, and, Welcome to BYC!!

Last edited:
I'm in Massachusetts, so we get cold and snowy winters- will definitely be looking at cold hardy breeds. The breeds I am most interested in right now are the Buff Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Black Astralorps, Barred Rocks, RIRs, and EEs. I won't necessarily get all of those (at least initially) but those are the ones I'm thinking about right now. I love the Polish chickens (and I'm half Polish so I feel like I need a couple!! :lol:) but I've already seen that they can get picked on by other breeds. So those are my thoughts. I'm looking for eggs for my family and some to sell on a very small scale (friends/family/neighbors) to help cover costs of feed etc.
Go for the cold hardy breeds at first until you get more experienced. RIR's and Barred Rocks are great dual purpose birds for our area and they are native New England breeds

American Dominique is the oldest developed in American breed and used to develop some of the those other breeds. The American Dominique is cold tolerant and adapts well to confinement. The breed needs help.

Unless a good part of your run is weather proofed an 8x8 coop will not be enough for 15-16 birds in the Cabin Fever parts of winter...twice that would

I thought the rule of thumb was 4sqf/bird? 64sqf would be 16 birds..unless I'm missing something??

I want to put a roof over the run and I saw some people cover the sides with plastic to help keep the wind down- that definitely seems doable, I imagine birds would not want to be kept inside for weeks or months on end- so if I did that, would that work for the number? Or would it still be advisable to have fewer?

I thought the rule of thumb was 4sqf/bird? 64sqf would be 16 birds..unless I'm missing something??
It is an oft repeated 'rule of thumb'(remember the 'grains of salt' I suggested?)....
....but not carved in stone and does not work in some situations.
Crowding causes a lot of problems.
I learned that the hard way one winter...too many crabby birds trapped in coop during a frigid days long blizzard is not a good situation.
I won't cite hard numbers....but...can you see the links in my signature?

It is an oft repeated 'rule of thumb'(remember the 'grains of salt' I suggested?)....
....but not carved in stone and does not work in some situations.
Crowding causes a lot of problems.
I learned that the hard way one winter...too many crabby birds trapped in coop during a frigid days long blizzard is not a good situation.

This is my first winter with chickens and I am finding I would like to give them a bit more space. My coop is 4X4 and I only have the 3 chickens but they do spend a lot of time in the coop due to weather. So this year I will build them a bigger coop.
Lots of people recommend building bigger the first time due to "chicken math" take that advice! Even if "chicken math" doesn't get you you will use the extra space.

Back
Top Bottom