how to grow fodder for chickens to eat

chickenmama109

Crowing
Mar 5, 2017
texas
hi everyone, i have 13 chickens and they free range in the back yard but they have eaten all of the grass out there and i was wondering how to grow some fodder for thm to eat but i have never growen it and i was wondering if my rabbit could eat some of it has well. i have seen some videos on youtube of people doing it but im still not really sure how to start off. thanks

oldhenlikesdogs

Visiting The Summer Fair
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
I don't think I would feed fodder to your rabbits. They are better off with hay. I personally give my chickens hay in winter for forage. I personally haven't tried growing or sprouting stuff.

mixedbreeds

Crowing
Aug 10, 2016
Washington State, Coulee City
1853D0E6-D40F-4C87-B397-A0C111ACC38E.jpeg
I grow it in the winter I have grow lights now but I didn’t have them when I started I grew it in front of the windows in my house. The grow light just speeds things up a bit. I soak my grains (wheat, lentils, mung beans and black oil sunflower seeds) over night in a dish pan. I use 1 cup wheat, 1/2 cup each of lentils and mung beans and 2 cups black oil sunflower seeds. You can use what ever you want. I then drain and rinse it in the morning and put it in a 10” x 20” tray with drain holes and set in another tray that has something in it to hold the top tray up so it can continue to drain. I just put 5 canning rings in the bottom tray as that’s what I had. I then rinse the top tray twice a day in the sink with the sprayer that’s on the sink. I chop up what I want to feed on about the 7th day. Once the chickens get used to eating it they devour it.

Top Bottom