how to handle the dreaded PORCH POOP

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenannie, Mar 17, 2008.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    OK, here's the worst thing about free-range chickens... Unless you live on a ranch in Texas and the chickens range at a quite a distance...

My little cutie chickens like to visit my farmhouse porch, look in my screendoor, and stroll around in my yard before they trundle off to the pastures and cow patties. Now I don't mind some good ol' lawn fertilizer, but when a friend comes to visit unexpectedly, and has to pick their way through fresh chicken poops to get to my front door.... arghh:(

I have to hose down my porch and sidewalk on an almost daily basis to keep it clean.

What do others with free-rangers do?

2. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

I fill a bucket with warm water and rinse it off.

Or, you can get a dog and he'll take care of them for you. [​IMG] I am always yelling at our Boxer Chico, "Quit eating chicken poop!!"

I know, gross, but sadly, oh so true.

Em

3. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    i didnt realize dogs eat chicken poop. maybe i'll have to get a doggie.??

4. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, our dog does. But he is also known as the dumbest boxer in the world, so [​IMG]

Em

5. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    Great excuse to get a pup [​IMG]

6. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Mine has a railing and fence around most of it; I put a piece of trellis across the opening. If there's no barrier, it's "free range" to them!

And as far as the dog and poop go, my Boston Terrier doesn't bother the chickenb poo, but I had to modify the cat's litter box so that he couldn't ge his head inside it! Talk about YUCK!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  7. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I have a putty knife and dust pan to pick up the dry poop, the gooey stuff, well, either put cat litter on it to dry it up or hose it down. What ever works for you! (no poopy smiley to insert)

8. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    When I had 15 hens it wasn't so bad. but with 50+ ranging, it's gotten worse!

How much time do youa'll spend with the putty knife, warm water treatment etc....

9. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    there is a product called "poop off" that you can spray on the bird poo a few minutes before you take a hose to it. it does help to soften the poo so that it comes up much more easily.
    bummer thing about having birds (or any critter) is that they do poo a lot.
    good luck!

10. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    My vet says to stop dog eating poo fast, it can make your dog very sick since chickens can pass along very bad illnesses, from the parasites they harbor.

I know it is yuk but that is the way with animals...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by