how to handle the dreaded PORCH POOP

Oh, great! My dog already eats squirrel poop, bird poop, rabbit poop (not to mention rolling in it!
tongue.gif
) and cat poop when she can get to the litter boxes. Now I have to worry about the parasites in chicken poop!
barnie.gif
*sigh*

I got our chickens to stay off our decks(kinda). I filled a spray bottle with water and everytime they came on the deck, I would spray them and tell them to get off the deck. After a few times of that , as soon as they saw the spray bottle in my hand they would run off the deck as fast as they could!!

Monica

Thanks for the suggestions ... i'm glad to hear they've invented something called Poop-Off. Never thought I'd need a can of it!

I think chickens ARE trainable, as you do with your hens, cknmom -- mine won't step into the grain/feed room anymore, at least not when I'm nearby.

I'd still like to hear what others do...

I feel your pain!
I only have 2 but boy oh boy, they can poop up a storm on the porch, especially the hen. The roo's poo is much more modest in size and isn't messy like hers.
During their free range time you'd think they'd explore the universe but no, a goodly part of the time there they are on the porch staring in the door! Sometimes one at the front door and one at the back door - quite the sight - a chicken at every entrance.
I am trying to make sure I don't feed treats in those spots but admittedly sometimes forget.
Assuming I mend my ways, my hope is that they will spend less time in these spots though sometimes I am glad they are there because I think a hawk is less likely to bother them right at my door. But then there's all the poop. I was thinking today how the front porch must be refinished this year (mold, mildew) and then when it's nice and clean how much worse it will be when there is a poopfest.
Sigh...............
JJ

I don't worry about it in the winter usually the rain does the trick. I do spray it off in the summer cuz the sun just bakes it on. But I post a sign... "watch your step, you've entered chicken country" And I make people shed their shoes at the door, just in case they weren't watching their step.

I had to hose down my porch twice today (despite the rain). First, at 10 a.m., so the furniture guys delivering my sofa didn't track porch poop into the living room. Then this evening, since the turkeys and chickens hung out on my porch all day because of the rain and the porch was a mess.
Now it's all clean again... but not for long.

Why can't they be like rabbits or llamas and poop in the same corner all the time. Is there an exclusive-corner-pooping-chicken-breed anywhere? I bet it would be a big success!

My porch has steps, so the chickens go under it...The goats on the otherhand....I have 15 tons of goat poo on my porch all day. I sweep it off, and they all come running to poo on it again. They could do it in the yard, but NOOOOO they like to do it on the porch!!!! I feel your pain!
barnie.gif
tongue.gif

My dog,Trixie, is a very orderly dog. She feels it is her mission to keep things in their place,so if the chickens range too close to the house,she chases them back toward their pen. Only problem is sometimes they are outside and she is inside.

We use pullet pampers you can get them at the feed store,and now they are finally old enough to start potty training,I'll be glad when thats over

Maybe you need a little picket fence blocking off your porch area? Can't imagine how you gather eggs fro 50 free ranging chickens! You must find them in ever yard crevice possible or like that other member who found 71 under her porch...see there's always a bright side...chicken poop is much better than having not found those 71 eggs until they were rotten, lol!
lau.gif
Figure a way to fence them out of your space...

Back
Top Bottom