how to handle this?

Quote:
I have to say I disagree; that is pretty typical for a 6 year old. Look at virtually anything written about pets and small children. Most sources say not to let kids younger than 8 have unsupervised access to small animals. Of course there are atypical children--just as in all areas, kids maturity and awarenss of others develops at different rates.

Not really a typical kid - his exact remark was "Look, I made them cannibals - that's COOL" This is the same kid that like I said has been caught aiming at the chickens with his pellet gun and when I hollered at him to quite he said "not til ones dead lady", and asked my husband once if he could "feed the dogs (meaning our dogs) rat poision to watch how it works" TRUST ME - you could see bloody dead chickens from about 10 feet away - there were some shaking and cowering in corners of the hoop coop getting attacked - this kid KNOWS what he caused. I know I can think back to some of the things I did at 6 like talking my sister into trying to fly - I KNEW she was going to fall, that was the point - but I also knew it was wrong and stopped her before she jumped ......

It's COUNTRY here - calling on a wandering kid is most likely the same as calling on a wandering possum - it happens. I can't move for quite a while - not financially feasible, electric fence doesn't slow down their dog - tried it, gave up and fencing the whole property is not feasible either. Why live fenced in if the point of coming here was for the open space.

NO RENTER DOES NOT EQUAL LOSER - but it does equal somewhat different legalities at times - I am hoping that maybe when their lease comes up he can give them the boot and not renew...or maybe they will go on their own, which is why I am trying so hard to be patient. For me, right now, RENTER = POTENTIALLY MOVING.

We tried speaking with the parents again today...I told them I would document any further wanderings and bringin CPS if need be...they didn't seem to take it seriously. I also left a message with their landlord. Now I am waiting to see what happens I guess...

All of this was not in your original post, and paints an entirely different story. With this, I would definitely call CPS and report the behavior and the parents' reaction--this indicates some mental/emotional issues that must be addressed for the welfare of both the child and society. You should also call the humane society and the sheriff/police; this was deliberate animal cruelty as well as trespass and criminal vandalism. Get that child into the court system where he can be evaluated and receive the counseling/treatment he needs. With CPS, the wandering is not so much the issue (as it is apparently common where you live. The issue is his mental/emotional stability and the parents' refusal to deal with it. Press the legal issues of trespass and criminal behavior. Document the cost of replacing the chickens at their current age as well as any other damage. Do inform their landlord of criminal behavior on the part of the child and the parents unwillingness to deal with it. Criminal behavior is often a legal reason for a landlord to break a lease. Even if all he does is call and give them a warning about that, it will hopefully get their attention.

CPS probably won't do anything except come out and check to see if the kid has clean shelter, food and clothing. I have heard from others who have been with CPS when they went into a house and saw cocaine lines on a mirror but the kid had food and clothes...they left the kid. They are overwhelmed. However, that said if they come out and inspect the house it may be a wake up call for the parents.
Those disturbing comments from the child are not normal. If the kid shot my birds with a pellet gun (or even attempted to do) I would call the police. It is still a weapon and a threat and against the law. The child most likely will not be arrested because of his age but the parents may be cited and the gun confiscated.
I would refrain from taking any action against the child (i.e. water hose, and even yelling at him), even if you are in the right. Authorities tend to side with the child on those matters. It is definitely a different world, if I did those things as a child and the neighbor caught me and wooped me my parents would have said 'serves you right', but in today's world that would lead to an arrest and a lawsuit.

Look at it this way... the child is also a victim of sorts. Unless he was born a psychopath, he has been exposed to things in his environment that have caused him to find these behaviors acceptable.
Another reason that I agree with NOT contacting the parents in this situation.

Call CPS and hope for a positive outcome.

I would try to keep that little enemy close. Give him a job and pay him well. He sounds deranged, but I would rather have him on my side than against me. Kids like this are smart, manipulative, and vindictive. They love to challange and to be challanged, and call bluffs. Six year olds are still teachable. Good luck, and please be sure to share any working solutions.

Quote:
What do you think CPS is for? That is their EXACT function!!!!

Cps is there to make sure that the kid is being taken care of plain and simple, our cps has no idea how to deal with mental illness let alone what organisations offer help. What you don't understand is that some kids like my son will say things that they don't mean which doesn't mean he is abused in anyway. I bet he has a tv, you'd be surprised what they can pick up,we have banned cable in our house.

But that doesnt mean that others arent better. When the avenue is there to be taken to get help, then we have to use it. If it doesnt work then the next step can be taken.
All CPS's, all schools, all parents etc cant be lumped together. I wouldnt want to be judged on anyone else actions or reactions to a situation.

The appropriate call in this case is to CPS for better or worse.

CPS's purpose is the welfare the child. Abuse and neglect are some of their primary areas. However, both abuse and neglect extend beyond just physical. A child whose exhibits signs of sociopathic tedencies, but the parents make no effort to deal with the issue can be said to be neglected.

our cps out hear has a branch that tests for things like bipolar, add , autism ect. and have reasourses for parents to get help for their children,they can also help families get money to cover expences if the need asistance that way
smile.png
it just depends on your local and how over worked they are, these places are usualy HORIBLY under staffed.

Back
Top Bottom