how to handle this?

Okay, you have roosters; roosters can really cause damage with their spurs, beaks and claws. I remember reading a thread not too long ago on one of the chicken sites where someone nearly lost an eye from a rooster's attack. Make sure you relay that information to the parents--even if your roosters are too young to have spurs, or are not aggressive. You do not have to mention that to them. Just that they can be a danger...because they very definitely can.

Absolutely give the parents a bill for the chicks, (including all the feed that you have given them to get to that stage of development. Also place No Trespassing signs on all sides of your property. Get some stakes and marking tape and mark the property bounds to the best of your knowledge.

You realized that the chicks were trampled and injured and dying/dead. Did the child? He might have been laughing and smiling at how much they liked his treats, not at the destruction he was causing.

Now I am going to make a statement that may be seen as non-supportive--sorry, but if the chicks were not extremely hungry, I cannot see them being so desperateto reach food that they would trample each other to death. I am also wondering how many you have in that coop that this would happen?

if the child was trying to feed the chicks blueberries, doesnt sound sadistic...just didnt know better due to lack of parent guidance! Why is it that everytime a neighbor does something dumb or mean...or just down right wrong the offended has to make multiple comments on the fact that they are "renters" like that explains it all! renter does not equal loser! I just have to say that I love my chickens, i care for them well, i have dogs that I have control of and I dont let roam, I love this website for all its great info. but lately I have been feeling discouraged about the magnitude of posts here that are attacking neighbors, other animals and especially children...a six year old is not responsible for this, he needs teaching not profanity....I think if every person on this planet took the time to help guide their communities children even once the world would be a better place. I know its the parents responsibility to guide their children and it may not be our problem but when these kids grow up without direction and a feeling of being loved or even tolerated it becomes everyones problem!

Last edited:
Little kid probably did not realize that he was causing the chicks to hurt themselves. Years ago I raised rabbits. I had problems with the little kids in my neighborhood messing with my rabbits. I taught them what was appropriate behavior with rabbits, how to handle them and how to clean out the hutches. That part was sweet. I soon had a bunch of helpers to do my dirty work.
smile.png

Quote:
I work at a high school and a neighbor's rooster came onto school grounds one day, a student tried to pick it up and the rooster let him have it, there was blood all over the place...the student's blood.

That kid is either mean or plain stupid! A six year old should know when he/she is causing pain to animals. My daughter recently turned seven and she would never do something like that in fact she's wont let other kids hold her chickens because she afraid they might squeeze them to hard.

Quote:
I have to say I disagree; that is pretty typical for a 6 year old. Look at virtually anything written about pets and small children. Most sources say not to let kids younger than 8 have unsupervised access to small animals. Of course there are atypical children--just as in all areas, kids maturity and awarenss of others develops at different rates.

I disagree with the rooster idea. Then the parents could sue you too easily even if your property is posted.

I say post the property first, then yes, get a fencer and put a strand or two of electric a ways away from the main enclosure so the kid can't easily get past it.

Also, I liked the idea about calling the sheriff or whoever and reporting the trespasser, you know how it is, with the way children are if you were to approach him, someone could accuse you of something so the cops need to come get him and find his parents cause you don't dare and you are concerned for his well being etc.

If the cops are bringing a kid home, it might encourage the parents to keep better track of him.

I'm not going to say if he knew the havoc he was causing or not, but it's not your job to educate him.

I have to agree with portage girl only because we no longer allow people to suffer the consequences of their own stupidity. When I was 8 I was told that I was too young to walk the dog. He pulled me down the stairs, blood , stiches, lesson learned. I didnt blame the dog.
I learned about skateboarding and running through the foyer as well.

Id love to vote for a big mean Jersey Giant or Jungle Fowl, the Jungle Fowl look scary on their own.

How is this kid going to learn? We don't allow failure, we engage in social promotion in school, and every kid is a "terrific kid".

You know where this is going... I probably said too much...

And we wonder why things are going so well.

The chickens ARE coming home to roost.

This kid is our future, should he learn anything from his actions?

Quote:
I have a 6yo son. He is NOT mean OR stupid - but that doesn't mean that he would necessarily understand that he was causing harm to an animal. Just like when he overfed the fish - for the second time - and killed them (he was a bit younger at the time)...he did it b/c it was neat to see all the fish scramble for food. I can see a child who doesn't under stand chicken flock dynamics doing the same and not realizing that some are getting hurt.

And, my chickens are not starving...but they will act FRANTIC when provided limited access to a favorite treat (roaches, anyone? - they are a problem in our barn
sad.png
)...so I can see how excited chicks would possibly hurt each other to get at a treat.

I would present the parents with a bill, before bringing the issue to court. If they protest, then do what you have to do through legal channels.

But don't ask me about calling CPS b/c the child was "wandering." I live in a rural neighborhood and our kids can go quite a ways before seeing a neighbor...and if my son were to do anything like that at a neighbor's house, I would expect the neighbor to paintball him for me
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom