how to hatch a chick from a cup link inside

There is actually documentation of developing an egg that DOES use a cup, but the cup is used as a base for a plastic "sling" and petrie dish cover utilized over the top, not more plastic.

It is a science experiment intended for the study of embryonic stages days 3 thru 18, the chicks are not intended to live, all are sacrificed/killed for tissue sampling & further "study". Aseptic technique is used (ultraviolet sterilization, etc.) to keep the chicks from dying of bacterial infection, before they are killed.

I am *ABSOLUTELY* a fan of both science & veterinary medicine, HOWEVER, in this day in age there are a TON of good sources that allow observation and documentation of embryonic development, without additional sacrifice of chickie lives. (!!!)

Not trying to be overly harsh, but I was pretty horrified by the needlessness of the whole thing, and like I said, none of the chicks were able or allowed to reach viability.

So this could never work? If I did this to watch the stages then I would want to keep the chick not kill it! I can't kill anything. I am thinking about doing a hatching project with my girl scouts, but I am not sure yet. I have never hatched anything!

This is just wrong on so many levels.
hmm.png

Sorry to be a downer....but the embryo needs oxygen. A plastic cup with plastic wrap isn't going to allow that oxygen through. Not to mention poring water directly onto the egg.

What about when the baby would normally pip the membrane and shell? It starts a sequence of blood/yolk absorption and if the baby never had the chance to pip...what would happen?

Also, the process of birth, the actually squirming around in the shell...is good for the baby. It helps with blood flow, oxygenation...

Unfortunately the list just goes on as to why this wouldn't work.

And I have to say, I agree with Suellyn. I'm all for the science and education of hatching (we homeschool and have used hatching as a platform for many discussions/reports this year) but to needlessly sacrifice lives when the info is out there on the web...well, it's just needless.
sad.png

I think hatching eggs would be a phenominal and educational project on SO MANY levels for your troop... In fact one of the BIGGEST reasons I hatched eggs was for my daughters (ages 4 and 7) to experience it. Responsibility (turning eggs, monitoring 'bator), used CANDLING to view development (would clean up all their Christmas toys INSTANTLY if I threatened not to candle
wink.png
!), also looked at a lot of embryo pix online, the pip, zip, hatch was miraculous (you would miss that part if no shells!!), hearing them peep & chirp thru the shells was amazing (and adorable!), too...

As far as could it EVER work... well, I guess never say never! BUT, would truly require an aseptic "lab" environment/mindset, and even with optimal conditions, it is pretty much a guarantee that struggling, malformation, dying, would be the MAJORITY of the experience!!! Traumatic for a lot of adults, let alone children.

Even with normal incubation process, we did have to deal with some death and lack of viability (2 eggs were "clear"/infertile, and 1 chick stopped developing around day 15... the other 9 hatched perfectly, tho!), but the positive far outweighed the negative (!!!!!!!!!). In fact, my 9 little "positives" are listening to "The Little Red Hen" as read by my 4 year old right now as I type.....
lol.png

Don't let the fact that you've never done it before stop you, this site will talk you thru it, TONS of info, I think that "watching a chick hatch" should be on EVERYBODYS "life list"......
smile.png

Quote:
During a normal hatch, you will have eggs that don't make it. We take those eggs and do egg-topsies. We open them up and see what stage the eggs died at and brainstorm reasons why. My daughters are as good (if not better sometimes!
lol.png
) at candling and knowing what they are seeing.

If you do decide to set some eggs with your girl scouts, try to get light colored eggs, as those are the easiest to candle. Have the girls draw diagrams of what they see and the stage by stage development. You can even build a bator with them! (See MissPrissy's sig. line for a great homemade bator)

Yep, we "eggtopsied", too... My 7 yr old was a bit nervous about it, I did NOT push her, told her I would "look first" and tell her what I saw. She was ok with that, once I described what I was seeing, curiosity got the better of her, she came over & participated, no problem. Was just the initial "scaryness" of "what might be in there", I think! (understandable!)

Oh and even my 4 yr old can now identify "clear", "developing", and "blood rings", when candling!!!... Knows what the air cell is, too!!!!!!

Well I am pretty sure I am going to build Miss Prissy incubator for a project I just don't know if it will be for my son that I home school or my troop! I am excited to start the process!

Back
Top Bottom