How to help dissolve a very hard lump in crop?

mariac

Chirping
Sep 18, 2015
FRANCE
I would really appreciate any help or advice, I have only cared for chickens for 3 months and am very much the novice!

Five weeks ago I noticed that one of my hens had a abnormally swollen crop. She has always been a greedy hen and her crop has always been more noticeable than the others but I recognised this as being abnormal. The crop was squidgey, I kept her isolated for a couple of days, withheld food, massaged the crop and tried AVC and live yoghurt but the crop was becoming bigger. I took her to see a vet who thought it could be a bacterial infection or worms. Five days later having had antibiotics and being wormed she looked worse and I was sure I could see a lump within the crop so back to the vet. He decided that he would anesthetize her and open the crop. A few hours later, the surgery was successful and he had removed a ball of grass about the size of a golf ball. I was told to keep her isolated for 8 days with another round of antibiotics and to reduce food intake. I was over the moon as she make such a good recovery, the crop emptied every night and she was full of vitality. After another check up with the vet she was given the all clear to join her friends.

Unfortunately, two days after joining her friends and free ranging again and the crop was swollen. The crop is now hanging very low, I suppose from the surgery and such an extended period of it being stretched. I have built her a "Special Needs" run in the main run where she can see and interact with her friends but she is on paving slabs so cannot free range on grass while I try and get this sorted. The vet recommended treatment with Nystatin. She has had this for 7 days, the crop at one stage looked like it was reducing but is now very large again. A few days ago it was very swollen and when I lifted her up she vomited a brown liquid everywhere, I thought this would help as I understand Nystatin works best on an empty crop. I have been giving her live yoghurt and chick crumbs soaked in water. She is pooing well and had a voracious appetite but I am limiting her food severely to stop the crop filling even more and massaging the crop just in case there is more grass in there. Strangely, the crop is no smaller in the morning than when she goes in at night but does seem to shrink a little throughout the day.

I am at my wits end! I have ordered her a Birdy Crop Bra as I thought this may help hold the crop in place but as I am in France it won't be with me for a couple of weeks.

Any help or advice would be so appreciated! Please see update below.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your reply and the link. I certainly think she is going to be a Special Needs bird if I can get her over this hurdle.

Update * I have now managed to control the sour crop and the crop has emptied this morning. The empty crop has now revealed a very, very firm lump in the crop, it moves around freely in there so is not causing a complete blockage. It is about the size of an average human finger (hopefully she hasn't swallowed one of those!). I have tried massaging it and can manipulate it a little but one end of it is solid. I have added some mineral oil to her food in the hope that it helps to break the lump down. Meanwhile, she is still as bright as a button.

Any advice on anything else I can do to help break down the lump would be appreciated. I have read about chopped tomatoes as they are acidic but I am worried this will help the sour crop take hold again.

She has an appointment with the vet on Wednesday but a second surgery within a month seems a lot to put this poor hen through.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom