How to help my stubborn drake heal

You can certainly hear it from a distance, that's for sure!

Alright, I did a quick check this morning letting them out but have to get ready for work. There's less of it out than there was last night. It's also not such a vibrant pink/red and looks much more like its usual color. The flesh looks healthy and normal. Hopefully the warm water sit this afternoon will help push it the rest of the way in.

He does not like me feeling around though!

Of course he doesn’t but sometimes we have to do things they don’t like. Hopefully a warm bath will do the trick since your seeing some improvement already. Bless your heart you have taken such good care of him.

I came to check on him after work and he had jumped into the pool (cold water in that) and was splashing around. I could definitely see him trying to suck it back up with his tail wagging before he strained and his back end reared up slightly. I don't see any alarming color on it. Still out but the part that is outside seems small (thinner, perhaps) than this morning.

I'll try to get his warm bath in a little before bed, dry him off, apply some stuff, and plop him in the duck house. Fortunately none of the duck hens seem interested in nipping at it.

Today it appears two inches are still sticking out. (maybe 2 and a half, I am bad at visualizing measurements). Of that, the section at the base is very round. I think once that part manages to get in the rest will go in quite quickly, since the rest of it is quite narrow. I'm not sure if I should try and assist pushing it in or not. The color is still good, but whenever he poops it gets on it so I keep putting him in the pool to keep it clean.

I believe it's in. If not all the way, then mostly. Last night I took a better look. It almost looked like what happens when something's going through a tube and it bunches up at the opening and gets stuck? So I was gently pushing at the edges and moving the larger mass at the opening inward. It was a really swollen mass on the very outside with just a tiny bit of regular-sized further on, so definitely seemed stuck.

This morning my mom let them out so I wasn't able to catch him. I picked him up tonight after putting him in and he fought like a mad duck, sliding his wings free, flapping and kicking like crazy (I should mention for a duck with legs that are obviously deformed he's able to walk extraordinarily well lately). I got a mouthful of feathers. But I didn't see anything sticking out, so I'm hoping it managed to go in.

I hope so too infection isn’t something you want for him maybe over the weekend you can wrap him in a towel so you don’t get flogged by his wings and can really look him over good.

The weather's going to be real awful tomorrow. I'll try to sneak in a better look, though. I want to make sure it's fully in, or at the very least, whatever's not in looks healthy. I'm planning on moving into my apartment next Friday so I definitely want to make sure he's good to go until I come back for Thanksgiving.

Good-ish news. I caught him this morning and looked. It was still out, but after a little gentle pushing on it the large swollen section went in and his 'vent' (I know it's not the right word) started to contract and the rest of it went right in. It's a little swollen but hopefully the swelling goes down once everything starts to relax inside and the swollen part eases up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom