How to hide a rooster

Hi Gracie :frow
Our roo has crowed as early as 5:30am.
The laws in the states do vary greatly depending on region etc.
Most laws with regard to chickens have to do with those who live within city or town limits and/or sometimes those who live in an HOA.
For example, in my town in SW Idaho, if you live within the boundaries of the city limits you can only have 6 hens and NO roosters. Your coop must be 25 feet from any neighbors home and at least 10 feet from your own property line. This is because the houses are generally closer together and cities/towns have more regulations than the countryside.

However, for those of us lucky enough to live outside the city limits, those rules don’t apply. I live in the county so I can have as many chickens as I want including roosters.
But I still want to be a considerate neighbor so I talked to neighbors before I brought our roo home.
My little country neighborhood has about 24 properties that are anywhere from 1/2 acre to 2 acres. Many people have chickens, horses, etc.

Hello!! :D

Wow that is crazy! I mean I can totally understand about how living close to other people could be an issue when keeping birds but to go into such detail about measurements etc is over the top...you'd have to have a pretty big garden to be within those rules right? Depending on the size of your flock of course.

It is indeed very lucky you live outside city limits and I really respect you for being kind enough to talk to the neighbours before bringing your rooster home, not many would do that and I have to be honest, I probably wouldn't out of fear they would object (from lack of knowledge about bird keeping).

Here in the UK (And I only recently just checked this out lol) we can have as many as we want up to 50 chickens/ducks before we need to register the flock.

Very interesting to know though, thank you @ChooksNQuilts !:hugs

I've done lots of research on no crow collars that have nothing to do with shocking. People just make a restrictive collar with a piece of velcro, that prevents the roo from fully inflating. You can hear the muffled crows on YouTube. I think it would be irritating to the feathers because it's so stiff, so I'm going to make one out of multiple layers of flannel, and then I can wash it also.

No ideas on hiding a rooster - but if you have neighbors who cannot find joy and pleasure in the sound of a rooster crowing in the morning you have some pretty sorry neighbors and should look for a new neighborhood. City folks are so uptight, that's why stress, heart attacks and strokes, not to mention relationships struggles, are so prevalent . . . just tell your neighbors to chill and enjoy the finer things in life. If they are jealous, offer to buy them a rooster of their own. :old
Love it! :lau :gig

Hello!! :D

Wow that is crazy! I mean I can totally understand about how living close to other people could be an issue when keeping birds but to go into such detail about measurements etc is over the top...you'd have to have a pretty big garden to be within those rules right? Depending on the size of your flock of course.

It is indeed very lucky you live outside city limits and I really respect you for being kind enough to talk to the neighbours before bringing your rooster home, not many would do that and I have to be honest, I probably wouldn't out of fear they would object (from lack of knowledge about bird keeping).

Here in the UK (And I only recently just checked this out lol) we can have as many as we want up to 50 chickens/ducks before we need to register the flock.

Very interesting to know though, thank you @ChooksNQuilts !:hugs

You’re welcome! :D

So does that mean that you can have up to 50 regardless of the size of your property?
Regulations are weird sometimes.
My county in Idaho restricts how many dogs people can have.
Only 4 adult dogs per property regardless of size.

The men in my neighborhood who had to get up early for work loved him, the kids in the neighborhood loved him as well, heck the neighborhood cop used to stop and talk just to see the rooster when I took my flock out front. The cop loved to pet him ( I had to hold the roo so the cop could pet him LOL) So the police didn't care. it was a neighbor and I think I know who, although the city wont tell me who it was. ( I thought in this country you had the right to face your accuser ) of course this is the same place where a rooster is an exotic animal and hen is a pet. :lau:lau

My town law states that the chicken coop has to be 5 feet from the property line :). Ask me how I know...my jerk neighbor called the zoning board on me :rolleyes: :smack
Some people just need a life, we have had chickens and other fowl in our neighborhood since 1969 and before, heck in 1969 there was a horse in an empty lot. And yes I am in the actual city, not suburbs.

The men in my neighborhood who had to get up early for work loved him, the kids in the neighborhood loved him as well, heck the neighborhood cop used to stop and talk just to see the rooster when I took my flock out front. The cop loved to pet him ( I had to hold the roo so the cop could pet him LOL) So the police didn't care. it was a neighbor and I think I know who, although the city wont tell me who it was. ( I thought in this country you had the right to face your accuser ) of course this is the same place where a rooster is an exotic animal and hen is a pet. :lau:lau
The police in my town wanted me to catch some chickens that were in the street a block from my house.
The health department lady wouldn’t tell me either who reported us. I even filed an Open Public Records Act (OPRA) to find out who reported me and the darn people blacked out the name! :rant

Some people just need a life, we have had chickens and other fowl in our neighborhood since 1969 and before, heck in 1969 there was a horse in an empty lot. And yes I am in the actual city, not suburbs.
I was thinking the other day that maybe I should bury the hatch with my neighbor, but then I thought about it and decided I really would love to bury the hatch...just not in the ground if you know what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom