How to house a chicken too big to go through coop door?

Pics
An update on my 14 lb big girl... I have had her living in a dog kennel in the yard for the last few weeks. She is now almost 18 weeks old. She has done really well until recently. She would waddle/run to the feed dish and moved around a lot, enjoying the shade and grass. Two days ago she laid her first egg! But since then one of her legs isn't working right and she can barely move around. So unless she improves I think her time is almost up. She is so sweet that it will be hard to let her go.
But you gotta do what you gotta do.... :(

@kinkachy000

Fist and foremost I want you to know I respect the fact that you are a

"KIND HEART-TED LOVING PERSON"

You and I would have to agree to disagree on what you are doing.

There are times in your pets lives you have to learn to "LET GO".

Keep this in the back of your mind as you proceed on your journey.
Thank you. I definitely have this in my mind. I already have a vet that is willing to humanely euthanize him if the time comes.

An update on my 14 lb big girl... I have had her living in a dog kennel in the yard for the last few weeks. She is now almost 18 weeks old. She has done really well until recently. She would waddle/run to the feed dish and moved around a lot, enjoying the shade and grass. Two days ago she laid her first egg! But since then one of her legs isn't working right and she can barely move around. So unless she improves I think her time is almost up. She is so sweet that it will be hard to let her go.
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this. Best of luck with your girl. I'll be thinking of you. :hugs

Could you build a ramp to the people door but make it very long so it’s not as steep. If you make it long enough would that make it less steep enough for him to walk up?
Sadly I don't have enough room to make a ramp long enough. Thanks for the suggestion though

I’m so sorry. My mother-in-law just went through the same thing she didn’t know it was a meat chicken when she purchased them. She felt silly when she found out but intended on keeping them. She was in love because they were the sweetest girls but unfortunately started breaking down like yours.

Exactly they are technically freaks of nature not meant to live more than 8 weeks in a perfect world. Your bird has experienced more than two life times when it comes to this breed of chicken. Roosters who are even known to get heavier would never or seldom live that long. Their meat is drop off the bone delicious if you are able to go beyond your attachment.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom