How To Humanely Euthanize A Chicken..

It's unfortunate the most effective way of euthenizing a chicken is the most painful for us. Think of your bird. Her pain will be over but you love her and believe me you will grieve for a while.

Remember the OP was asking for other suggestions on how to put down her bird, not what is or is not humane in every ones opinion. She is asking for help in a very painful situation.............. so lets keep it friendly and give suggestions that will help the OP.

I am so sorry you are having to make this decision................ pick what is best for you and your bird, and what YOU are capable of doing. No method will work if not followed through properly.
Best Wishes
hugs.gif

Im still talking it over with DH. I think I might give her a little while to go on her own. If not than Ill put some money aside & see if I can bring her to the vet to have it done. Thanks again to everyones kind words & suggestions. I truly appreciate all of it
hugs.gif

Have you thought about asking for help in the "where am I, where are you section"? There maybe someone near who can do it for you.

I brought my daughter's guinea pig in to the vet for euthanization a few years ago. I didn't want to do the deed myself, and definitely not with my daughter around. They used a method called a "heart stick" euthanization, which is used for small animals. I'm not trying to be discouraging, but it was awful. I will spare you the details, but if you go that route you may not want to be around for it. It takes longer than a traditional euthanization. I found it to be a much harsher experience than I expected. If you want to be with your bird at the end I would recommend using Emzyyy's method. It is quiet, peaceful and appears painless. I am so sorry for your chicken. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

mrszlopez
hugs.gif
I really don't have a lot of advice. I just went through this myself, and it is still so painful I could not read all the posts in this thread. I just want you to know that I understand your anguish. I wrote about mine on my blog, and I struggled with doing that because I worried I'd get a bunch of "it's just a chicken, for heaven's sake" comments. But I didn't - I got a lot of support for one of the most traumatic experiences I've gone through. If you are interested, it is at http://www.backtobasicliving.com/blog Maybe it will help for you to know you are not alone.

BTW, the method I chose was the one I felt would be instant and cause the least amount of pain for my precious hen.

I wish I could help you.
hugs.gif

I know about the "heart stick" method. The two times I've had my precious chickens euthanized, they used gas to put them to sleep so they wouldn't feel the stick. It was very respectful and caring. Hopefully, if you end up going to a vet, they will do the same. Ask ahead of time! Best wishes,

Quote:
Same thing as baking soda and peroxide but w/o wasting gas and FREEZING her is a terrible idea. I definatly would not like to be froze if I was a chicken! Its inhumane as leaving a dog outside in a snow storm!

Carbon MONoxide (from a car, etc.) is different from Carbon DIoxide, which is what you get when you mix peroxide/baking soda, etc.

I don't know much about carbon monoxide, so no input on that one.

Death by deliberate hypothermia seems absolutely awful, and not in the best interest of the bird (!!!!!!).. terrifying and lengthy process.

Since OP is not comfortable with cervical dislocation, I will respect that & leave it alone.

Carbon DIoxide is generally considered humane, and is reccommended for small pet owners (rats, mice,etc.), for "at home humane euthanasia". Google "rat euthanasia" and you will find good info. Something important to know, is that carbon dioxide is HEAVIER than air, so it fills a container from the bottom up, forcing the oxygen out the top. A benefit of this is that if the pet is at the bottom, you can actually have your hand in there (from the top) to pet them & keep them calm until they go unconscious. You would still want to cover the top with a heavy towel or something, and try to avoid "stirring up" the air too much. Or people just put a lid on and do not put their hands in with pet. Again: Google it, there is good info on it.

Quote:
I agree, and lucky you (and me) we survived CO2 poisoning. I was at home, tired and sleepy. Had a huge fire burning, as it was January. Got a slight headache, and decided a long nap was in order. Slept on the couch for about 2 hours, NO smell, NO fumes, NO anything, just slight HA, and sleepy. When Dh came home, he also noticed NOTHING. About an hour later, fired up the wood burner, and he had a slight HA. We decided to head to the drug store for some Tylenol as we were out, and he was getting tired, but my history of migraines made us get up and leave. LUCKY for us, after being outside in the fresh air for a while, my head cleared, and I WOKE up a bit, and he said he was feeling better, more alert. We went home and realized our WOOD BURNING STOVE was putting out huge amounts of CO2, (after tired feeling was returning) and we were saved from certain death. CO2 does not emmit smell or fumes. That is why it is so important to have a detector in your home. Hope my added story helps just one person. As far as terminating a bird, my DH just breaks their neck, it is quick and truly painless if done correctly. It is the way the lab does it, the way my chicken health book does it, the way we've done it for years. It recommends stretching the neck and just snapping the head back quickly. ONCE the neck breaks (seconds) there is NO feeling to the bird, as the nerves are severed, life ceases to function and reflexes take over. I know it is the easiest way for the bird, but I also sympathize with your not being able to do it yourself. It is a hard thing to do. One thing that does NOT work is a 22 bullet to the head, who would have guessed? My son tried that, and it was NOT a good thing. Freezing is supposed to be the most pleasant death known to man, as you feel warm and cozy and tired and sleepy all at the same time. Once the shivering ceases, you feel very GOOD. You could just buy some horse tranqualizer from your vet and give to the bird, it would feel drugged and sleepy and just never wake up. My vet will put any small animal down for free, even ducks brought from the town pond. He won't treat free, but will put to sleep for free. Sorry to ramble. I wish you the best with your dilemma. HenZ
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom