How to I make my chicks more friendly?

SoFluffy

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
I have 2 WPRs, 2 BPRs that are really big chicks and I think that one of the WPRs is already a hen, and a hen of which I do not know of which species it is. The chicks (not the hen) run to me when I give them food from my hand but when I pet them, they run away and they seem to almost always keep a distance from me when I don't have food, especially the hen. Also, my older brother keeps annoying the flock by chasing them and stuff, I don't know why...

EDIT: The chicks are more friendlier now and run to me when I approach from the door they run to me sometimes
smile.png

P.S I only want to make the chicks more friendly, not the hen...

Last edited:
first lock your brother in a deep dark place. You chicks are afraid they are going to be chased. Try sitting with them before dusk while they are getting ready for bed. Slowly hand out treats mine love grapes Even though I raised mine in the house some now run when I try to pet them. Move slowly and talk softly to them. It might help. Some breeds are just more high strung than others My EE won't let me get anywhere near them but my Jersey Giant is a lap bird

Quote:
I can't even grab the chicks without chasing them around the coop by force...

The chick's don't even run to my hand anymore, well Fluffy takes a peck or two with greatest caution and moves on...
sad.png
Any suggestions??

How old were they when you got them? Mine will run from me in the pen when it is time to go to bed. Except for tonight, they all came in the coop when I was filling their feeder.
I have a chair in the run & will sit their for up to an hour just watching them & talking to them. They jump in my lap, on my shoulder and even on my head. One day I had six chicks on me & more wanted up, but there was no more room.
Some of mine jump on my lap, and I will talk to them & stroke their back or head & they will start to fall asleep.

Take a ear of corn out to the run, sit on a low stool, and hold the ear of corn out to them & talk to them as they come up to eat. It is a bribe, but you can progress to having the ear of corn on your lap & having them jump up and sit on your lap as they eat. Then as they become more comfortable with you, start petting their back as they eat.

It takes some time, but you need to inform your brother he need to knock off chasing the chicks or they will be fearful of anyone who comes near them.
old.gif

The problem is that they are even scared of me petting them before and in dusk...
hmm.png

Quote:
I can't even grab the chicks without chasing them around the coop by force...

First of all, chickens are naturally.... chicken. They are prey animals, so their instinct is to be cautious. Second, chasing them around the coop to catch them is NOT going to help. It will only make them more afraid. If you want them to come up to you, you're going to have to spend more time in their coop or run with them, sitting quietly and letting them get used to you. Since they're not like a dog or cat who tend to be more friendly, you're going to have to bribe them with treats. That's pretty much why they "love" people anyway. Because people give them food.

Quote:
We have chairs in the run and we sit in there and just watch them go about their business. We also give them lots of treats like grape leaves (yummy), meal worms (super yummy), and bread (way yummy). After a while of doing this every night, your chickens will all come running the minute you enter their area. Mine jump up at my hands to check and see if I have treats!

Back
Top Bottom