How to incorporate a new rooster with hens

noelgeorgia

Chirping
Jun 6, 2023
Our 4th rooster is not making the cut. We had to cull three others that were raised together with the hens and we were hoping the barred rock would be more calm and friendly once he didn't have competition. He does fine around my husband but comes after me when I'm near the coop. So, I think we're going to have to re-home (with a man who knows what he's getting) or cull him as well.

My neighbor said Cochin roosters are supposed to be very calm and known as gentle giants. If I take the barred rock out and a cochin, how do I incorporate him? Just let them figure it out? I'm not sure I can find an adult male, so I may have to order one from a hatchery. If so, I'd have to keep him separated for a while, right? I'm just not sure how to do this or even how to find the right rooster. Nobody local seems to have an extra rooster that's kind and I really don't want to get into this situation again. Thanks for you help!

T

People who breed Standard bred large fowl tend to breed for a calm temperament. The bigger the breed, the calmer, usually. It’s easy to tolerate bad behavior in a smaller breed, but not in a large one. Also, large breeds tend to be slower and lazier.
My show quality barred Plymouth Rock that I had once was the chillest rooster I’ve ever had. Cochins are also a good one.
If there are any show breeders around getting rid of extra roosters, ask about temperament.
Most likely they will dispatch roosters that don’t meet the Standard but if you say you want one as a pet and not for show, they might save a cockerel for you.

People who breed Standard bred large fowl tend to breed for a calm temperament. The bigger the breed, the calmer, usually. It’s easy to tolerate bad behavior in a smaller breed, but not in a large one. Also, large breeds tend to be slower and lazier.
My show quality barred Plymouth Rock that I had once was the chillest rooster I’ve ever had. Cochins are also a good one.
If there are any show breeders around getting rid of extra roosters, ask about temperament.
Most likely they will dispatch roosters that don’t meet the Standard but if you say you want one as a pet and not for show, they might save a cockerel for you.
Great advice! Thank you. Did not think about looking for a show rooster locally. My barred rock is not very chill, unfortunately. I was hoping he would relax but maybe it's because he's still young (6 months). He is good with the girls and and awesome protector though. Just stinks that he keeps coming at me but it's usually in the mornings when I'm walking around the coop for some reason.

I was a little concerned about the cochin because I don't want a lazy breed, but it sounds like you like them too.

I found this post on craigs list but is 12-14 weeks too young to tell if a rooster is going to be friendly? I don't think ours got aggressive until closer to 20 weeks.

"Looking to get rid of three cockerels (young roosters).They are roughly 12–14 weeks old. Have been fed and medicated starter feed. Very healthy and very friendly. They allow me to pick them up. They are Easter Eggers."

Another post has an adult bantam cochin. Is that the same as a cochin?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom