How to introduce 1week old chick to 3 week old chicks

foLk

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2021
So I have four 3 week old chicks in a large brooder, my wife and I went to the tsc and saw they had Sapphire gems and my wife wanted one, we bought it, and now I'm wondering if she will get hurt, as I hold her it doesn't seem they mind her and I put her down for a few seconds and they stared at her but didnt care too much it seems, she's just alot smaller then them so that worries me

If there were at least 3 of the 1 week olds added I wouldn't think twice about adding chicks with just a couple weeks difference in age. That should be no problem. And even with just 1 new kid it will probably be fine. Could you get a couple more of the gems? That should prevent a single new kid from being focused on.

If there were at least 3 of the 1 week olds added I wouldn't think twice about adding chicks with just a couple weeks difference in age. That should be no problem. And even with just 1 new kid it will probably be fine. Could you get a couple more of the gems? That should prevent a single new kid from being focused on.
Yeah unfortunately I'm at my chicken limit I have two 11 week olds outside and this new one maxed my coop, any advice on just introducing one? Should I put her in a small brooder inside the big brooder ?

Put a wire divider in the brooder so both sides can see each other, but the younger one can eat and drink without worry of harassment or being trampled. After its grown a little more and steady on its feet, like maybe a week, you can take down the divider and try letting them mingle. Chicks are generally accepting of other chicks so there shouldn't be a problem, but mostly it's size difference that would be an issue at the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom