How to introduce Keets to Adult Guineas and Chickens

Vonnie7

Chirping
Apr 25, 2021
I have 1 rooster, 7 laying hens, and only 2 adult guineas. (I had 9 originally, but when they free-range, or refuse to come into the coop at night, they have been picked off by predators.) I love guineas! So I ordered some keets that are roughly 4 weeks old. They live in a heated brooder. Just recently, I've allowed them loose in the fenced pen area outside of the coop during the day. The adults are all off hunting until evening. My question is: When they are old enough to survive without a heater (late October) and probably 50 degrees here in TX, how can I introduce them to the coop and the adult chickens and guineas? Right now, no adults (chickens or guineas) seem to have any interest in them.

I think my 1st batch stayed in until they were 7 or 8 weeks old, because it was late season. But by taking them out during the day in the fall, they started acclimating. I don't think I'd toss 4 wk olds out into 50° overnights w/o a hen to snuggle next to,but that cld just be me.
My brooder is a big plastic clear tote. This year, during the day I would put the brooder infront of the patio door, bc my boys always came up to the door. If I hadn't moved them over yet, PJ started knocking. They spent a lot of time looking in. When I took the brooder outside to enjoy the sunshine, the boys would look inside, peck on the box, and "guard" it. One day I walked out with keets on my arm & they flew to the boys. That was the end of me parenting- the boys took over.
Couldnt have been easier, and they were great at it.
The hen was on the nest at the time, so they were in residence when she came home. There was no show & tell for her she was not happy, & I can't advise you on that one. But my boys were great.

I have 5 adult Guinea Fowl in one poultry run and moved 7 keets into the adjacent run. The adults are curious about the keets. I will post here when I let the adults out to continue free ranging.
History: Our adult gf were not spending much time on our property because of the female across the road. Neighbour fed them, long story. I finally got the adult males into the coop and left them there for six weeks, released them and they went off our property again.
I subsequently herded ALL of them including the female into the middle run about four weeks ago. The keets are allowed out for short periods of time and run to me if they see me.
I want to eventually combine the flock hoping there are tame females amongst the keets which may keep them on our 60 acre block.

Well we had an adventure today. I let our 8 week old keets out and turned my back for an hour or so. They had disappeared! I finally found them but could not coax them into a cage so was able (with difficulty) to catch 4 and put them in their run. I hope the other three turn up to stay close to the 4 in the coop. Adults are still in their run. I want to find the other 3 keets and put them in their run.

UPDATE: My husband arrived home from work and walked with me into the paddock where the keets were hiding. We have had heaps of rain, so the grass and weeds are taller than we are. He spotted the three remaining keets. We caught them and carried them to the poultry run to join the other 4 keets. I am very glad and will keep them in another few weeks until they are bigger.

Back
Top Bottom