How to introduce my young chicks...all different ages.

JonnieCakes

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2021
I have 11 week old chickens outside in the coop. I also have a few 6 week old chickens and several 4-5 week old chickens.
Can anyone advise me on the best way to introduce everyone? Should I introduce the youngest ones first, then later all of them to the oldest? Or introduce the 6 week olds to the 11 week olds first? Or maybe go ahead and put the 4 & 6 weeks together in a crate and put them all in the coop with the big girls?
I know I need to do it through a crate for a few days so everyone gets to know each other. I’m just game planning the ages and the best way. Thanks so much for input!

I have 11 week old chickens outside in the coop. I also have a few 6 week old chickens and several 4-5 week old chickens.
Can anyone advise me on the best way to introduce everyone? Should I introduce the youngest ones first, then later all of them to the oldest? Or introduce the 6 week olds to the 11 week olds first? Or maybe go ahead and put the 4 & 6 weeks together in a crate and put them all in the coop with the big girls?
I know I need to do it through a crate for a few days so everyone gets to know each other. I’m just game planning the ages and the best way. Thanks so much for input!
So what I would do is take the 4 & 6 week olds in a crate in the 11w olds coop/run for an hour maybe more and let them get used to each other. I would do this for 2-4 days and then let them out and see how everyone reacts

So what I would do is take the 4 & 6 week olds in a crate in the 11w olds coop/run for an hour maybe more and let them get used to each other. I would do this for 2-4 days and then let them out and see how everyone reacts
Thank you! I’m going to introduce the youngest chicks today. Then, as you recommend, start taking them to the run for a few days straight. Hopeful it goes well!

Thank you! I’m going to introduce the youngest chicks today. Then, as you recommend, start taking them to the run for a few days straight. Hopeful it goes well!
How did it go? I just came across this and will be in a similar situation in awhile. I have 15 8 week olds currently in the coop and another 14 eggs incubating. Already thinking about best way to integrate the babies into the flock when the time comes.

I introduce chicks at 3 weeks. They are small enough that the flock sees no threat from them and actually ignores them. :D

baby eggers with flock now.jpg

Back
Top Bottom