Sponsored Post How to: Introduce new birds to your flock

I'm having some problems adding one new pullet into my small flock of SLW. My birds are all around 12 weeks and there is one cockerel in the mix. I understand the cockerel is still learning how to manage the girls at his young age, but isn't it strange that he is also going after the new pullet as well. Things seem to go 1 step forward, then 2 steps back. I had thought that at this age adding 1 girl to the mix would be easy. Boy was I wrong.

Adding one hen into a group is difficult. She's way outnumbered and has no one on "her side". When I add new hens, I put the rooster with the new hens for a while so he can introduce himself to them and claim them as his. Then when I let them all together, he has protected the new gals. Make sure she has plenty of room to run away from the existing flock and if you can, put her somewhere else at night so she can get a break from the others. Then when they've had time to get to know each other during the day, you can probably leave her in the coop at night with the gals. I also turn the lights out early until they get to know each other so they don't have time cooped up to pick on the new ones.

Last edited:
I need help. This is my first time on this site. I have 2 roosters and one hen in my existing flock, bringing in 5 hens. They have been in the coop together but separated for 4 days. When I let them mingle for the first time my roosters chased the hens and plucked feathers out. My hen was fussing too. Do I let them figure it out or wait more days.

Two roosters and 6 hens is not a good situation. Generally they suggest one rooster for every 8-12 hens. The boys are just telling the gals they're in charge. That is normal. It is hard to see but unless they're hurting them, they're just doing their thang as roosters it sounds like. I would put one of the roosters away from the rest and let one claim all the gals. You could let the one rooster have one new gal and the one old gal together for a while. Putting 5 new hens in with the one poor hen is hard on her. Let her get used to one new one at a time and gradually add in the new hensI would try to get more hens or give the second rooster away.

Thanks. Took the chicken wire down again today. Seems a little better now. The little ones were actually on the other side of the prison yard lol. Happily exploring. They don't like going in the coop at night because one of the hens will grumble and carry on with them for a minute untill i give them what for. They settle down fairly quickly though

Great work on this! :thumbsup

I'm bringing home a new hen this week. After the quarantine period I'm worried one of my RIR hens might bully the new hen. The RIR has bullied one of my White Rock hens three times in the past, and they've been together since they were two weeks old. There's still snow outside so how should I introduce this new hen to the RIR?

Thank you! Will definitely keep this article in mind when integrating new birds into my current flock.
thumbsup.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Very helpful! We are considering getting some new chicks/juvinilles to add to our flock this year! So exciting!

It has been 3 weeks till I have introduced a new hen in a flock of a hen & a rooster.Both are mixed breeds & the hen does not go broody.While the new hen is a breed locally known as Desi which is a very Good Mother.As old the hen does not go broody that is why I have bought a new hen.But the peace has yet not been able to reach a 100%..The rooster has to roost in between them for stopping the fight(not as severe as the first day).She (the older one) Also hits her head during mating.She does not allow her to lay in her nest but still the new hen somehow has been able to lay.It has been 3 weeks.Please help.

Back
Top Bottom