How to introduce new members to a flock of 2?

Buhbuhz24

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 13, 2011
Hello all! :)

A few months back, my dad and I went to pick up 2 'hens' from a farm. The man said he wasn't sure of the sex since they were too young to tell. They were only 14 weeks when we got them, and now, one turned out to be a Roo. He's real pretty but I'm worried about the one hen, since Roo's are suppose to have at least a flock of 7-10 hens. We love him very much and he's sweet and gentle. We are planning on getting one, possibly 2 hens tomorrow from a different farm. My 2 chickens are now almost 8 months old and the hen (we named her Goldi Locks, lol) has been laying for a good 2 1/2 months now almost every day since she's started. My concern is, what will happen when I introduce the one/two hen(s) to my current 1 hen and 1 roo flock? We're also incubating some fertile eggs we got from Goldi & Ruby the Roo so we'll have baby chicks running around when spring/summer comes rollin' around. That means the Roo will have more hens to his flock once the chicks get older. So any tips on the introduction? Thanks a bunch!

- Kim

Kim, I usually put the new ones one the perches at night and it seems to make things go smoother. They still will have to establish their pecking order the next day. I keep my chicks in the coop blocked off in a nursery until they are about the same size as the adults. This way they are used to them but no harm picking on the little ones.

Joedie;

Thanks so much for the helpful advice! My dad and I went to pick up our new flock member today, she's a gorgeous Delaware hen with a very sweet personality
big_smile.png
since this is my chicken, I got to pick out which hen out of 40 hens would be the lucky winner and come home with us. As for the chicks, we aren't sure if they are fertile , but hopefully!!
fl.gif
I'm not going to get my hopes up though since it's been 24 days already since they were put into our incubator. My dad put one of the eggs in warm/hot water and it was floating. He said that means there is a chick inside, I think he's just trying to cheer me up, any ideas? I want to make a homemade candler or something to check it out.

Joedie;

Thanks so much for the helpful advice! My dad and I went to pick up our new flock member today, she's a gorgeous Delaware hen with a very sweet personality
big_smile.png
since this is my chicken, I got to pick out which hen out of 40 hens would be the lucky winner and come home with us. As for the chicks, we aren't sure if they are fertile , but hopefully!!
fl.gif
I'm not going to get my hopes up though since it's been 24 days already since they were put into our incubator. My dad put one of the eggs in warm/hot water and it was floating. He said that means there is a chick inside, I think he's just trying to cheer me up, any ideas? I want to make a homemade candler or something to check it out.

I use a small led flash light and put myself in a dark closet with the eggs I'm candling. I look at the air cells and for a dark mass in the egg. All my eggs are dark, so I can't really see the embryo itself, but rather I see what looks like a dark blob or mass.

Have you integrated your new hens to your flock yet? Of not, I would suggest quartine just to make sure they aren't caring anything that could harm your roo and chicken. If you have, just keep an eye on all of them for any signs of being ill or parasites. Wishing you all the luck with your hatch and integration!

Back
Top Bottom