How to introduce new Roo to existing flock of hens???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LovinMyHensInNC!, May 15, 2009.

1. LovinMyHensInNC!

LovinMyHensInNC! Chillin' With My Peeps

Advice needed please....

I have 10 hens (7 months plus) that I have had with two guineas. One guinea was recently attacked and killed by a dog. I picked up two new guineas and the lady had a beautiful Roo (12mo.) that she claims is very gently and friendly. He is a big boy, though!

Right now (day three) I have the roo and the guineas in a converted rabbit hutch establishing "home" for the guineas. All my birds free range and I lock them up at night. I plan on keeping the guineas in the "rabbit hutch" at night but I want the roo obviously to be with the hens in the chicken house.

What is the best way to get him with the hens? Should I lock him in the chicken house with them for a few days so he knows that is his home? Or will he naturally flock with them and go into "their" home at night?

I am a newbie and obviously still learning! Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    He will probably just join them without much prompting. You can always shoo him in toward the evening if he doesn't go on his own.

3. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I would put him in the chicken house at night. Put him on the roost with the girls and then you should not have too much of a problem from there. If he doesn't go in for the first couple of nights just keep putting him in there by hand until he gets it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by