How to introduce Rooster to flock?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ellie, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Ellie

Ellie Songster

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I am still looking for a rooster to replace my beloved Roo Dude who died a couple of weeks ago. They are fenced in a couple of acres so don't need a rooster probably, but hawks can indeed get them.

Someone found a lady with an Ameracana (EE, maybe tho she shows chickens) rooster who is 8 months old.

So far the girls are doing fine, even with me leaving for two days. If I do get a roo for their enjoyment [​IMG] and protection... what is the best way to introduce him to them?

Say, will the chicks eggs be tinted since he is of that breed?

Thanks,
    Ellie

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  3. Ellie

Ellie Songster

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Thank you very much, Miss Prissy. I did search but it brought more than these ole eyes could take!

Appreciate it,

Ellie

4. Ellie

Ellie Songster

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Ok, now that I have read it, I have made up my mind not to get a roo. Well, I realize I could but with my working full time and teaching at night once a week, I will not have the time it takes to do it properly.

I was VERY hesitant in the first place, having cared for Roo Dude since he was 2 days old and rearing him in the best way I knew how to be kind and gentle. (I do know that luck has a great deal to do with it [​IMG] ) I was worried about the new roo being gentle and how he was raised.

I will wait until I get a new flock when these are older and no longer laying. I did want more barred rocks anyway. I will get a baby barred rock from a hatchery or maybe I will study on here and hatch a few of my own.... 50% chance of getting a roo, eh? I would love to buy eggs and then let one of my girls set--probably the best bet of all.

I am amazed at the information on here and how sound it is. I love my birds and will keep them safe as their "substitute roo" until I can do it right.

Ellie

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

[​IMG] Glad to see responsible people out there.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2008
  6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I understand completely, Ellie. I have had a few flocks I didn't particulary like and wanted something different later myself. I am glad I could help you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: