How to introduce Rooster to flock?

Ellie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 10, 2007
Redding, Ca.
I am still looking for a rooster to replace my beloved Roo Dude who died a couple of weeks ago. They are fenced in a couple of acres so don't need a rooster probably, but hawks can indeed get them.

Someone found a lady with an Ameracana (EE, maybe tho she shows chickens) rooster who is 8 months old.

So far the girls are doing fine, even with me leaving for two days. If I do get a roo for their enjoyment
smile.png
and protection... what is the best way to introduce him to them?

Say, will the chicks eggs be tinted since he is of that breed?

Thanks,
Ellie

Last edited:
Thank you very much, Miss Prissy. I did search but it brought more than these ole eyes could take!

Appreciate it,

Ellie

Ok, now that I have read it, I have made up my mind not to get a roo. Well, I realize I could but with my working full time and teaching at night once a week, I will not have the time it takes to do it properly.

I was VERY hesitant in the first place, having cared for Roo Dude since he was 2 days old and rearing him in the best way I knew how to be kind and gentle. (I do know that luck has a great deal to do with it
smile.png
) I was worried about the new roo being gentle and how he was raised.

I will wait until I get a new flock when these are older and no longer laying. I did want more barred rocks anyway. I will get a baby barred rock from a hatchery or maybe I will study on here and hatch a few of my own.... 50% chance of getting a roo, eh? I would love to buy eggs and then let one of my girls set--probably the best bet of all.

I am amazed at the information on here and how sound it is. I love my birds and will keep them safe as their "substitute roo" until I can do it right.

Ellie

I understand completely, Ellie. I have had a few flocks I didn't particulary like and wanted something different later myself. I am glad I could help you.

Back
Top Bottom