How to keep 2 baby chicks warm on a 9 hour drive?

Just did an eight hour drive 4 weeks ago with six 3 day old chicks.

Put them in a plastic storage tub (the large size) and taped three hot water bottled around one corner of the tub.
Covered the bottles with towels, and the floor of the tub with newspaper and paper towels.
Used tape to secure the water and feed containers to the side of the tub, so they wouldn't move around while driving.

Covered the whole thing with a towel.

Happy babies. They snuggled up against the hot water bottles, except when they were exploring and eating or drinking.
They had plenty of room to get warmer or cooler.

I also taped a thermometer to the side. The temp averaged 80 degrees. A little cooler than the required 95, but they were
fine.

We tried a couple of things that didn't work. Rigged up a heat lamp attached to a tension curtain rod that went from window to window.
It was great until we were on the road and the lamp blew out both of the cigarette lighters in the car. We had to go home and leave the next day.
Great idea, but tricky if you have something go wrong.

We also took thermoses and filled them with hot water at a Starbuck's, but the chicks never really needed it.

Heat lamp, bad idea.

Hand warmers or hot water bottles would be your best bet in traveling. If worse gets worst, you can always shove them in your bras and I bet they will be snug as a bug in a rug!
lol.png

Another thing i have used - rice in a sock. You can microwave it to heat it up, and it stays warm for quite a while.

Personally, i like EweSheep's idea. It's very low maintenance. Just wrap paper towels around their little butts and tuck 'em in.
smile.png

Ditto to Happy Chooks.

If it's not horribly hot (or cold) outside, turn on the heater with the blower only on the floor (if you have that option) and open your window. You'll be more comfortable that way, but the heat will be down with the chicks.

"I swear officer, the accident was caused by a chicken in my bra..."

Next scene takes place in the local mental health institution...

Shhhhhhhhh, you're not supposed to tell.

Okay, I'll admit, I have put an egg in my bra. Only got 2 hands and it had to go somewhere.
idunno.gif
But I have yet to put a chick in my bra. (although I won't be too surprised when it happens)

Back
Top Bottom