How to keep an ADHD kid still

I give my ADHD son coffee
hide.gif
It's a stimulant for most, but for a person whom has ADHD it works the opposite. Plus the warm coffee will make her throat feel better.

My two granddaughters could spend a couple hours stringing beads into necklaces or bracelets. They also love doing jigsaw puzzles. You can get craft kits to do various small crafts, or get a canvas and have her create a painting for her room. A 7-year old could make one of those fleece tied blankets, too. That's all I can think off right off the top of my head. Good luck.

Quote:
I was also going to suggest coffee. A true ADHD will react the exact way Elite says!

Oooohh.... I just thought of one. Man, I'm a big kid. How about letting her "color on the walls" ?

Her parents could tape large pieces of paper (from the craft store) all over the walls and let her write on them with non-bleeding things like crayons. It would be really neat if the papers took up the whole wall and touched - covering the whole thing. It would make the kid feel cool like she was doing something she's normally not allowed to do - it would make her feel special that people were seeing her huge artwork and it would certainly keep her occupied. Her reward for making the mural is that it could stay up for the whole week (month) for everyone to see. Maybe at the end of that time Mom/Dad could invite over some friends/relatives to see what she made.

My son had his adenoids out when he was almost 8, he was down for at least a week, he wanted to do nothing. He was very sore. He was not aloud to go to school for the full 14 days. He was happy with his games and tv. He was not aloud anything warm for so many days after the procedure and no red anything! It is true about the coffee, my boys drank it often and it does help to keep them calmer for some reason!(My older boys had ADD!) So if aloud to give it, it might be better off if it is iced! I bet she will be sore for at least 3-4 days where she will not want to do much. Repeat that if she is to active they will have to go in and fix it, and that just might keep her still for sure!

Quote:
X2

Also, at Whole Foods and other health food stores, you can get supplements in the form of 'wafers,' gummies and liquids that are beneficial for ADHD...and I'm an expert on the ailment, lemme tell ya!!

Buried Treasure make an incredible liquid supplement called Added Attention that works on my girls (and me!) nearly as well as Ritalin, and it lasts for 4+ hours, depending on the metabolism. It's on sale at Whole Foods right now and I just stocked up.

When I was a kid, my mom taught me to knit, and if the Knifty Knitter had been invented, it would have been perfect. It's a hoop with pegs and a little hook. A single repeated motion around the hoop will create all sorts of things. I also did a lot of latch hook. I know you can get a set of 4 hoops for ~$15 at Michael's, Jo-Ann and Hobby Lobby. Get her a skein of yarn or two, and she'll be busy, busy!!

Quote:
X2

Also, at Whole Foods and other health food stores, you can get supplements in the form of 'wafers,' gummies and liquids that are beneficial for ADHD...and I'm an expert on the ailment, lemme tell ya!!

Buried Treasure make an incredible liquid supplement called Added Attention that works on my girls (and me!) nearly as well as Ritalin, and it lasts for 4+ hours, depending on the metabolism. It's on sale at Whole Foods right now and I just stocked up.

When I was a kid, my mom taught me to knit, and if the Knifty Knitter had been invented, it would have been perfect. It's a hoop with pegs and a little hook. A single repeated motion around the hoop will create all sorts of things. I also did a lot of latch hook. I know you can get a set of 4 hoops for ~$15 at Michael's, Jo-Ann and Hobby Lobby. Get her a skein of yarn or two, and she'll be busy, busy!!

Gotta look up the Added Attention!

Quote:
Art/craft projects that she can sit at the table and do would be helpful. As you've suggested, coloring books are a great idea! Also, if there is someone that can spend time with her and engage her in some low-key card games and good, old-fashioned board games, that will be good for her, too. (Not to mention, it might actually be good for the people playing with her, too!)

I have two words for you.... chamomile tea. If she gets too restless, it's a natural relaxant that will help her rest and be less jittery. If you put a little honey in it, it will also be soothing to her freshly-operated-on throat, just have her sip it slowly and don't serve it too hot... let it cool a little bit after you make the tea.

As an aside, even ADHD/hyperactive children will oftentimes naturally give their bodies a chance to heal post surgery and will be less "rambunctious" than they would normally be.

My granddaughter is an active child like that. I dunno what her mom would do if Ellie had to have her tonsils out and sit still for awhile.

Quote:
X2

How much do you have to take a day of the Added Attention?

teach her to knit! Or, if you have an iPad, get the art studio ap.
or introduce her to the BYc forum! I t keeps me still!

Back
Top Bottom