How to keep brooder clean, dry, and not smelling so bad?And building a new brooder?

anonymous99

Songster
Jun 20, 2021
For the life of me, I can’t go one day without having to clean my brooder bc the ducklings get water everywhere and they poop everywhere. Don’t get me wrong, I know that they love water, but it gets the straw so soaked and nasty smelling. My family is complaining about it smelling. I’m considering building a new brooder for them and making a waterer for them where they can’t get water everywhere. They’re at least almost 2 weeks old. They’re also getting bigger and their current brooder isn’t gonna hold them much longer. Would it be possible to build a brooder big enough for them to live in just until they can permanently stay outside? Right now, they are indoors. Would it be a good idea to put a cake pan under their waterer?

The cake pan does help, especially if you can put a wire grill over the top of it so they can't get into the water that they spill. Ducklings are utter pigs. 🤣

Just make sure whatever waterer you use still allows them to dip their beaks deep enough to wash out their nostrils.

You could start putting them in an enclosed area outside during the day. Keep an eye on them to make sure they aren't getting cold, give them a shallow bowl of water to play in and slowly, as they get older, they'll be able to spend more and more time out there which makes your life a little easier.

Depending on how many ducklings you have something like this works great. But if you have more than three you'll need more than one waterer. I put these on top of a grilling pan that I found at Goodwill with a pee pad over top to keep feet safe.

Attachments

• 8AFFB8E6-980F-4D46-B4BB-0F9C04A19524.jpeg
    8AFFB8E6-980F-4D46-B4BB-0F9C04A19524.jpeg
    454.6 KB · Views: 14
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/duckling-brooder-setup-pictures-wanted.1394508/

Ducklings are so messy. I'm brooding some right now that are very close in age to yours, actually a group that's a teeny tiny bit older and some that are younger (plus I just noticed an egg zipping in the incubator). I make sure to work in enough time, preferably at the end of the day, to change out the brooders. The only time I've been able to get away with going any longer than daily is right after hatch, like the day after hatch. I also have been brooding inside because these are bantam ducks and I'm a big ol worry wort. I've shared a link with you that's full of ideas and information. I read over it often. I hope that helps. From one fellow duckling brooder keeper to another, stay strong 🤣 (I'm kidding) but I do wish you the best ❤️

They’re at least almost 2 weeks old. They’re also getting bigger and their current brooder isn’t gonna hold them much longer. Would it be possible to build a brooder big enough for them to live in just until they can permanently stay outside? Right now, they are indoors.

Before you make a bigger indoor brooder, consider whether you can just move them outside. It might be possible to move their heat source out with them, or your weather might even be warm enough to move them out without heat.

They need to have an area that is warm enough, sheltered from bad weather (cold, wet, heat, too much sun), and safe from predators. It is often possible to provide those outdoors.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/duckling-brooder-setup-pictures-wanted.1394508/

Ducklings are so messy. I'm brooding some right now that are very close in age to yours, actually a group that's a teeny tiny bit older and some that are younger (plus I just noticed an egg zipping in the incubator). I make sure to work in enough time, preferably at the end of the day, to change out the brooders. The only time I've been able to get away with going any longer than daily is right after hatch, like the day after hatch. I also have been brooding inside because these are bantam ducks and I'm a big ol worry wort. I've shared a link with you that's full of ideas and information. I read over it often. I hope that helps. From one fellow duckling brooder keeper to another, stay strong 🤣 (I'm kidding) but I do wish you the best ❤️
I am brooding chicks inside right now and I say it's a tie on who is messier ducklings or chicks. These 6 chicks are poop machines. I am using pee pads instead of shaving since I clean the brooder 4X a day right now, using the same setup as in the link you gave. Other than they have just a reg chick waterer.
But you def have to stay on top of cleaning not only because of smell but because of their health and yours.

Back
Top Bottom