How to keep chickens cheap?

Forget craigslist unless you want to get murdered...go to Offerup.com. Much better.

This probably depends where you live ;) I don't think anyone uses offerup in my area and I'd have to drive hours to pick up anything, but I've heard good things about offerup in other parts of the country.

Not everyone on the internet is a murderer :gig But this raises a good point that you should be safe when meeting strangers to buy/sell anything. Don't go alone, meet in public in daylight if possible, etc.

I'll go thru about 42 lbs of feed per week
so if I only need to buy a bag a little less than once a month
?? do you mean week or month?

A chicken's maybe going to eat about 1/4 lb. feed per day... doing math... that makes a 50 lb. bag last a about a month, and will stretch even more if free ranging. Agree with others that 50lb bag of flock raiser is $16-18 where I live too. Layer is the same, but birds less than 18 wks shouldn't really have it.

If you do the deep litter method, clean out your coop/run once or twice a year and let that finish composting, I wonder if you could sell that too? as rich garden soil? I use my chicken compost in my gardens and it's amazing!
Deep litter that has direct contact with the ground also does a great job bringing in those worms and bugs to help supplement your feed bill... they can dig for treats even when locked in the run! But you probably already knew that
rolleyes.gif

I always like to be thrifty and I just love this thread... can't seem to stay away.
Congrats on getting it featured!

?? do you mean week or month?
Congrats on getting it featured!

Haha yes, 42lbs per month is what I meant!!

Also thank you so much! I'm shocked it got featured honestly. I'm super glad you enjoy this thread so much-- I do too!

Lots of people in my neighborhood garden, so that's actually a fantastic idea!! Why throw out poop when you can sell it? :lau

When this thread dies down (which is hopefully never;)) I will compile everything I know PLUS everything I learned from all you lovely folks in a giant master post of an article so other users can enjoy with ease :)

also just small reminder I PROMISE I'll post those measurements & pictures tonight & then I'll need y'all's opinions

I'll probably plug the pictures into my computer & draw my ideas over the original images to better express what I'm talking about... just depends on how much time I have ;)

The very best hen I have is my leghorn. She’s smaller she doesn’t overeat she lays XLG eggs she adapted to all the seasons of weather and I got her for FREE. I’ll never have another like her. She’s got personality plus some sass. Don’t know where you live but if there’s chicken keepers in your area just wait till spring...chicks will be plentiful. Best wishes

Last edited:
Are leghorns truly inclined to aggressive and flighty behaviors? We have a very young child in our family and I don't want the chickens to pose any threat to him, however I also don't want them to be so flighty I can't grab & inspect them
She’s not aggressive at all. In fact I had to stop posting (on iPhone in yard) because she hopped up for cuddles. She IS a Alfa hen. She’s the boss. She runs the universe but I run her. I’d have all leghorns. But to each his/her own. Another very “chill” bird is my red sex link. Started laying at 16 weeks hasn’t missed a day yet (7 months old) great hen, bigger, eats the most of all I have. But big beautiful brown eggs.

Back
Top Bottom