How to keep chickens cheap?

I also just looked at your link for the building you're looking at, and the price. If that's your budget, HAVE SOMEONE BUILD FOR YOU!

I have someone in my area that builds some pretty amazing coop/run combos for under $750.00. You should undoubtedly be able to find someone who can help you build a super economical coop for what you are willing to pay for that shed. . . . .

My plan is they're in the COOP at night,

I open the coop and allow them into the RUN during the day,

and after school I'll let them out of the run to explore and forage in our fenced back yard, which has less than an acre of yummy grass, bugs, and flowers, and then I'll throw some treats in their coop and call them back home once it gets dark enough you can't see far.

Also!

I emailed the TSC local to me and they didn't have the most concise of responses, but what I gathered from it was that only some TSC's have chicks, and when they do its only from certain shop locations, during July thru September. They haven't exactly told me which shop locations near me, which I'm trying to find.

However, if I'm trying to make some money off of my chickens, would seven be ideal? I'm not aiming for profit, just little pocket change here and there. An excuse to walk around the neighborhood or set up shop at a farmers market. Plus there's so many foxes where I live...

Last edited:
I also just looked at your link for the building you're looking at, and the price. If that's your budget, HAVE SOMEONE BUILD FOR YOU!

Honestly? I'm unsure of the budget I'd be allowed for these chickens. Like I said, if I was allowed to have chickens, my mother mentioned she'd like a pretty permanent coop, but at the same time she definitely has no idea how expensive coops can get.

Good job trying to get things figured out before your chicks arrive! Mama Heating Pad is an excellent idea! You may also find this article helpful:
You Certainly Can Brood Chicks Outdoors

People usually make tractor coops/runs for unsupervised time in the yard, their movability is to rotate the use of the ground. If you're going to supervise free range time, why not just let them loose in the yard?

I think you might find it much more economical to spend your money building a secure run attached to the coop. That way they could stay outside all day (safely enclosed)... then get let out for some grassy time in the evenings. And if they're outside all day, the only space truly required inside the coop is roost bars for sleeping... and egg boxes, which may lower your expense for overall coop size. Remember to make the nests lower that the roosts because chickens feel safer sleeping in the highest place possible, because you don't want them sleeping/pooping where the eggs are laid. Once the chickens are "homed" to the coop, they usually return on their own at dusk, without any bribes.
Also, that resin coop looks it would be pretty dark inside and laying hens require at least 14 hrs of daylight to produce eggs.

Ventilation is also super important... really important. Just their breathing and body heat creates moisture buildup, which can cause respiratory problems. Absolutely no need to insulate your coop as it would be useless with the required air flow present. Please read about the importance of ventilation here.

The Rubbermaid type shed will need lots of modifications but many people do it. Click on this search I did for links to some ideas to see what others have done. (Keep in mind though, not everyone has included enough ventilation)
How could I improve the ventilation of this shed to fit seven hens?
I think the best way would be to cut a large opening (or several) higher than the roosts will be, then cover those openings with hardware cloth. Drilling a few tiny holes will hardly do anything, and holes over 1/2" will have to be covered with HWC anyway.

My plan is they're in the COOP at night,

I open the coop and allow them into the RUN during the day,

and after school I'll let them out of the run to explore and forage in our fenced back yard, which has less than an acre of yummy grass, bugs, and flowers, and then I'll throw some treats in their coop and call them back home once it gets dark enough you can't see far.

Also!

I emailed the TSC local to me and they didn't have the most concise of responses, but what I gathered from it was that only some TSC's have chicks, and when they do its only from certain shop locations, during July thru September. They haven't exactly told me which shop locations near me, which I'm trying to find.

However, if I'm trying to make some money off of my chickens, would seven be ideal? I'm not aiming for profit, just little pocket change here and there. An excuse to walk around the neighborhood or set up shop at a farmers market. Plus there's so many foxes where I live...
Ooops! I just saw this post with your new intentions...
I started writing my previous post last night.

I made that comment because it looked like you were going to spend 600+ on just the shell of the coop.....

Understandable!! No worries!

You'd be lucky to pay for feed with eggs sales, I can just barely do it.

Like I said, I know I won't make a profit. Just a little pocket change for fun, a way of dipping my toes into the local agricultural economy and seeing it how it works. To me, making money means input $ > output $, while making a profit means the input money is less than what you're making. Selling my eggs is not a means of making a profit or making anything cheaper for myself, not unless it was on a far larger scale. Since I have goals of being a farmer I would like to learn about my potential market and how to cater more effectively to their wants while I'm still dependent on my parents' housing and food. Just a fun goal/challenge for myself :)

Think about how many eggs you want a week then....

How many eggs does your family normally go through? Probably increase that a little (fresh eggs are sooooo much better everyone will want more...) and then add how many you would ideally want to sell.

You can probably cultivate a small number of direct regular purchasers and depending on your area, could count on up to 5 or 6 dollars a dozen, but realistically it’s probably closer to $4.

If you had 7 high producing chickens laying 6 eggs a week each, that’s not quite 4 dozen eggs a week. If you sold ALL of your eggs and every chicken maintains top production, that’s struggling to get $60 a month from the sales. (14 dozen eggs per month). Some breeds may lay every day, but it’s hard to count on that, and, those most certainly would need to be replaced.

A year after they start laying, they will start moulting so you’ll either need to plan for no sales for a couple of months, or have replacement birds ready to lay.

Back
Top Bottom