How to keep down the insect population?

kees

Crowing
15 Years
Feb 5, 2008
What do you suggest for keeping down the fly population? I clean every day. But, as soon as a chicken leaves a "present", a fly magically appears out of nowhere. The plastic bags with attractant work very well, but smell so incredibly bad! I've tried moving them away from the chickens, but then they don't work as well. I get grossed out when I see hundreds of flies, in each bag at the end of the week.

As far as yellowjackets, I have to carry an Epipen. I ended up the the ER the last time I was stung so I'm deathly (haha...the last ha is too much effort) afraid of them. I use the yellow traps with sweet stuff inside but don't catch too many.

Please help me with the mosquito population! I'm the only person in the world who is a mosquito magnet! I get itchy just thinking about them! While most people's bites disappear after a short while, my bites last for weeks, if not longer. I even get bitten in my own house! Last year I bought a blacklight which I keep by my computer desk with Octenol attractant. Peeyuu! The blacklight bugcather mostly catches nats, but I cheer when I see the occassional fly or mosquito in there.

Suzy

hit.gif
barnie.gif
somad.gif

The chickens should be eating the flies, shouildn't they? Maybe wrap screen wire around the coop, unless you are talking about the run. Avon's Skin-so-soft repells mosquitos (and keeps fleas off dogs 1/4 cup in a gallon of water and soak pooch down). Why is there yellowjackets out there? They usually just come around sweet stuff. Are you that sweet?

My chickens ignore the flies. I didn't even know that they were supposed to eat them. Grr... I've tried Avon Skin-So-Soft and it turns out that I'm allergic to it. The only thing that works for me is any repellant with DEET, which I hate to use. I thought that everyone had yellowjackets and wasps. Am I that sweet? lol I need a lot of sugar in my coffee to make me sweet in the mornin' cuz I'm a night owl!

Suzy

Help! I bought so many of those bug killers that have batteries in them that look like tennis rackets. They work really well but I still have trouble!

My ducks dive after flies. It is pretty hilarious. The first time I saw it I thought my duck had gone lame all of a sudden. Then I saw her going after another fly.

Waaah! Does that mean that I have to get ducks to get rid of flies?

Suzy

Well, what animals do you have? If just chickens I would assume that a good housekeeping routine could keep it under control. Perhaps a dusting of stall dry or sweet pdz would help to dry out the poop.

I use fly predators religiously. I have large animals as well, but would never be without the FP.

I have the perfect way to help with the flys,, & it works..... you take a 2 liter bottle cut of the top, about 1/3 way down(do not throw away) mix dish liquid with water & aple cider vinager,, add to bottle,, punch holes in plastic bottle,,, at top part where it is cut from,,, run string throuth,, tie at top,, place top part of bottle you cut off upside down, inside the bottle,, the flys will go inside & cant get back out,, the will die in the liquid! it really works,, can even be used in the house for those pesky inside your house flys(even fruit flys)
wink.png

Last edited:
I have had great success with DE for flies. You can find all the information you want about DE on this website. We put it out in our pen twice a year. I sprinkle it on the dirt and my wife rakes it in. You get it at the farm store. As for mosquitos, there is a gizmo called a thermocell that works great if you are going to sitting in one place (fishing, ballgame, or deerstand). You can get it in the camping section at Wal Mart. Good luck with the Yellow jackets and Wasps. My brother in law says they are the right hand of the devil.

Back
Top Bottom