How to keep duck coop dry?

Morgan282

Chirping
May 27, 2018
So, I constantly have to change the straw in my duck coop because every 2-3 days it's soaked. I know ducks are just messy animals by nature, but I was wondering if there was anything I could do to kind of stop it from getting so soaked so often? I put down about 1/3 bale of straw every time I change it. I put their food dish and their3 gallon water dish in their coop with them at night. I put them in roughly around 9-10 because that's when it starts getting dark and I let them out in the morning between 6-7. My aunt suggested I keep the food and water out at night but I don't know if that's a good idea or not. I don't want them to have to go without water if they get thirsty. The coop gets locked up because there isn't a run, they're free range. So I couldn't leave the food and water outside for them. Any suggestions?

Your Aunt made a good suggestion, but in addition I put it away so scavengers don't eat the feed. I stop giving them water/food at night once 2 months old and continue unlimited feed during the day until they are fully adults around 4 months. After that they get a daily feed ration. Using the bottom of a dog crate or a plastic tote with a side cut out for water and feed at night helps contain the moisture if they are still young. At a certain point when young and they empty the chick water-er more than twice a day, I train them to drink from cleaned milk jugs with head holes cut into the jug at chest level.

Last edited:
At around 2 months, you can stop providing food and water at night. They will be fine. That can definitley help cut down on the mess. Your duck house is becoming soaked due to allowing water in it at night. They might be awake, but are much calmer and relaxed at night so shouldn't work up a thirst. If your temps are extreme at night, might want to offer some though. I know some people use straw for their ducks too. I use pine shavings and pdz (It is found in the horse section). Pdz helps to absorb moisture. I change out the pine shavings once a week or so depending on if it got rained on while the door was open.

I use an automatic water device and that has helped. I though also rake out their straw each day and let them free range in their creek. If it is sunny then I rake the dried out straw back in. If it rains even better to rinse the straw to clean and then after drying rake it back into a straw holding area to store it for use. I have 12 adult ducks and one goose and have in 6 months used only 3 bales of straw. When it gets broken down I compost the “old stuff” and start a new bale.

Attachments

• 9F207CBA-485D-477D-9044-0ADD1CE22FF9.jpeg
    9F207CBA-485D-477D-9044-0ADD1CE22FF9.jpeg
    498.8 KB · Views: 188
I use an automatic water device and that has helped. I though also rake out their straw each day and let them free range in their creek. If it is sunny then I rake the dried out straw back in. If it rains even better to rinse the straw to clean and then after drying rake it back into a straw holding area to store it for use. I have 12 adult ducks and one goose and have in 6 months used only 3 bales of straw. When it gets broken down I compost the “old stuff” and start a new bale.
Oh and I have stopped using wood chips because they take a long time to dry.

Your ducks will not have any problem going that long without food/water. Mine are free ranging and go in at dark (9ish) and are let out at 8:30ish so that they will lay their eggs in the coop. They are fine without food or water. The only times I put water in the coop is if for some reason I have to put them in before the sun goes down.

Back
Top Bottom