How to keep eggs cool while storing them

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jcinadr, Sep 19, 2014.

1. jcinadr

jcinadr Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2014
    I have read that if eggs must be stored prior to incubation, they should be stored cool for maximum hatch rates - between 40 (or 50) and 60.

I am in Texas, so cool rarely happens naturally inside my house [​IMG] - was wondering if there were any suggestions on how to achieve this temp artificially. I had considered getting a wine cooler (if goodwill had some cheep), but figured keeping the eggs on a turner would not be a bad idea either - the turner would probably not fit in a wine fridge.

I suspect if I really wanted to, I could use a pizzo electric chiller to slightly cool an insulated box - but was wondering if anyone had easier functional suggestions. I have several spare refrigerators - but I doubt I can set a compressor based system warm enough (one is a dedicated beverage fridge - so it is a possible maybe).

2. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    My home has in floor heat in all the rooms so I don't have a cool place to store them in the winter either. Recommended temp for storing is around 55 to 60 degrees but since I don't have a place like that I just put them out of the sun in my closet. I figure a hen doesn't store her eggs in a cool place before she broods them so I'm not going to worry about it either.

I know the 'experts' will wince when they read this but I do what works for me! [​IMG]

3. ccrane11

ccrane11 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2014
    Canon City Colorado
    I have been told to store hatching eggs inside the cabinet under the kitchen sink. It stays cool enough. I have had good luck doing this until I am ready to put them in the incubator.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  4. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    If people use water bags, bottles, cups and the like, to keep bator temps steady why wouldn't cool water bags, jars or cups help keep eggs cool in a cooler?
    Just a thought with total sleep deprivation from worrying about questions like these. Though I do love the learning curve that comes with it!
    The 'bit' that I can retain and recall at will that is!
    [​IMG]...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by