How to Keep Gambel Quail?

cmjones1026

Hatching
Jun 1, 2020
I keep Coturnix Quail, and just bought some Gambel Quail eggs. I know they’re flightier than coturnix and take the same food, but need answers to the following questions:

-When can I start to tell gender?
-How many eggs do they lay a year/do they usually sit on and incubate their own nests?
-Can I keep multiple quail together? How much sq ft does each bird need?
-Any other advice on how to keep them is highly appreciated!

007Sean

Face it, Embrace it, Ace it, Replace it
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Oct 25, 2015
South Central Texas
I keep Coturnix Quail, and just bought some Gambel Quail eggs. I know they’re flightier than coturnix and take the same food, but need answers to the following questions:

-When can I start to tell gender?
-How many eggs do they lay a year/do they usually sit on and incubate their own nests?
-Can I keep multiple quail together? How much sq ft does each bird need?
-Any other advice on how to keep them is highly appreciated!
Howdy!

* Gamble's can be flighty or relatively calm birds, depends on how much they are handled and have human interaction on a day to day basis.

* Usually within 3 months you can tell the gender of the juvenile birds.

* Gamble's are seasonal breeders, they will lay between 15 to 30 eggs per season/hen.

* Typically they don't set in a hobbyists confined habitat. It would be rare if they did and even more rare if they would brood their young.

* I rear my Gambels in a 300sq.ft. walk-in enclosures, usually 25 to 30 birds per enclosure, ~ 10sq.ft./bird, with lots of foliage, smooth large rocks, stumps and hiding places.
I like to give my birds that I raise on wire at least 4sq.ft./bird. You could get by with less square footage but the likelyhood of them getting into fighting increases with the decrease in spatial capacity.
In an elevated wire cage scenario, I would run 1 male to 5 or 6 hens or as a trio, if less space is available. This is how I raise mine, you may and probably will have a different experince, depending on the enclosure(s) provided.

* They are relatively easy to raise, if you have experince raising other gamebirds. Provide a balanced and complete feed ration of 24% protein and fresh, clean water. Protection from the elements, guard against drafts in extreme cold climates. Wet, cold, muddy environments are lethal to gamebirds.

HTH Good luck and Best Wishes

Chip76

Songster
Jul 29, 2019
Sun City, AZ
I have gambel quail. My boys started growing black feathers under their eyes around 6-7 weeks old. I wasn't certain about the gender of my female until a few weeks later.

My quail turned one year old on May 31. To date, my Pedro has laid 32 eggs and has not started sitting on them yet.

I recommend a large aviary type set up, as they like to run and fly up on things. Pedro lives in a big screened in patio.

Top Bottom