How to keep hens from spilling/wasting food?

What sourland said. Or, anything you feed them in, that is off the ground. Even if you get a hanging feeder, but put it on the ground, they will still scratch it onto the ground with their feet. I watched my birds do this. If there's no place to hang it from, you can put it on a cement block. This keeps the hens from scratching it onto the ground with their feet. Or, a ratproof grandpa's feeder, but you have to train them to use it and not all birds of all ages will readily learn how to feed from that.

I use hanging feeders and also wet their feed so it's more of a mash that doesn't scatter everywhere.

If you do a mash you can use a bird feeder like this so it doesn't get stuck. You can see it in the center on my pic.
Plastic Bird Bath Tray & Feeder... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099LJBXYV?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Hang feeders & waterers about 8-10 inches off the ground.

Attachments

• 20211024_165036.jpg
    20211024_165036.jpg
    991.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
How do I keep hens from spilling/wasting food? I feed them via bowls on the ground and some days there is more food on the ground than in their crops. How do I correct this? Any suggestions are appreciated.
You have many choices here:

1. Feeding tubes. I did this for mine and it worked wonderfully. Connect some large tubes and insert food, then have a tray underneath for what spills. They can eat whats on the ground too or you can simply dump it back in.

2. Nipple waterers.

3. Hanging feeders/waterers

4. Off the ground. You can put a little block on the ground and place them on that. Thats what i have currently.

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom