How to keep it nice and clean?!?!

k2chickens

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
New Castle, Indiana
I currently have 11 chicks in this brooder in my bedroom

168.jpg

I am a major clean freak and I am looking for ways to clean the brooder with out using any harsh chemicals or cleansers. I was wondering if any one had any suggestions on helping keep this brooder as clean as possible and practically odor free! They sell some cleansers at Rural King and TSC but I don't know if any are worth trying?

I clean the bedding at least once a week and wash the broader once a week. I also keep their water clean with ACV and love how it keeps the water dispenser clean. I change the water and food and clean those containers with water atleast twice a day!

I just want to be able to enjoy my chickens and keep their home and my home as clean and neat as possible!
big_smile.png

Sounds like you are doing everything you can do until they go outside. I am doing about the same as you are. My chicks are in a rabbit cage.

Looks like the chicks have plenty of room so your chips should be okay. (Absorbing any waste)

You have a great setup there!

Quote:
Thanks!
big_smile.png

I just hope I find some kind of non harsh cleanser that will help me keep them more clean in their brooder! I was wanting to spray some Lysol air cleaner in that room today but I was worried it could hurt my babies!
hu.gif

Cleaning the brooder with cleansers isn't so important until they move out. They WILL outgrow their brooder sooner than you would think so get the coop ready LOL. I had 13 in a 4' x 2' x 2' brooder. They outgrew it by three weeks....had them in their coop by 4 weeks. The worst part of having them in the house was all the dust. If you are a clean freak the dust will bother you the most.

They are really cute.

Quote:
I know, I will actually be sad to have them move out of my room cause they are the best roommates I've ever had! I just love them to death! The dust does get to me but the room itself is pretty clean lol! Did I mention I was a clean FREAK cause pretty much I dust every day so I don't notice any extra dust the chicks might bring in! The only thing that really bothers me is the smell but I'm hesitate to spray any Lysol of air fresheners cause I don't want to hurt the babies!

You cannot be a clean FREAK and live right up on chickens. I ADORE my chickens; however, chickens really do smell.
The key to brooding in the house is to TOLERATE them until you can move them out. There is no secret to success. Nothing to erase the fact that you have livestock in your home.

BTW: I never thought I was in any manner a neat freak until I read about the brooders in the bedrooms & diningrooms. Aaaaghhh!!!
ep.gif
That is like a diaper pail on the diningroom table - I swear. Yuck.

Oh well living with them in the bed room is actually no problem at all for me I was just hoping I could find some advice on cleaners and deodorizers that would not harm the chicks! Like I said they are my babies and I love them like babies and its not like they sleep on the bed with me or anything! To me its no different then having a pet cat or dog! I guess it would depend on how clean you keep your home but so far anyone who walks into my home does not seem to even notice we live with 3 dogs, a cat, and 11 chicks in our home!

No, no! DON'T use oil candles! Chicks, and birds in general, are highly susceptible to any kind of vapor in the air. It can kill them. This includes Lysol spray (glad you were hesitant to use it), scented candles, incense and overheated TEFLON!!! When I want to do a thorough cleaning job, I wash with hot water and an anti-bacterial soap (like dish soap) and, after I rinse, I pour boiling water around the sides and bottom to kill any germs that I not have already gotten. Someone said they would out grow their brooder soon. I absolutely agree with that! Just bear with it for a few weeks and enjoy those cute little fuzz butts. This too shall pass.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom