How to keep it nice and clean?!?!

One thing that may help between cleanings, is to add some more bedding to the brooder to absorb any excess odor every 2-3 days. It is not 100% effective, but will help some.

My birds were raised in their brooder in the barn. I moved them into their coop at 4 weeks.

4942_picture_861.jpg

4942_coopbrooder.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you VERY VERY much for that information! I am so glad I did not use anything like that! Good cleaning tip with using the hot water and dish soap cause it sounds like the least harsh way to keep their home clean! I have not used any cleaners what so ever so far cause I did not want to hurt them in any way!

Has any one seen the cleansers and deodorizers they sell at TSC and Rural King? Do these work and are they safe to use? In the brooders and coop

http://www.diversifiedenterprizes.com/pages/mist/3%20pack%207%20oz.html

Sounds
like you already know that many cleaning agents are toxic. This is a link to a mfr. of a safe odor controlling product. You can also buy it one can at a time from multiple sources; Amazon.com carries it, or do a Google search, or look locally; it's $5.27 a can on Amazon and lasts for months as one spray does it. Or if you have a good natural/health food store around....

I'm sure there are other similar products out there, but you will not find them on grocery store shelves, at least not around here. Certainly don't use anything like Lysol. You could try an open bowl of vinegar in the room; works on smoke, at least.

Most candles are also toxic, unless beeswax. But then, nonstick pans can kill birds, too. And commercial air fresheners are really bad, IMHO.

If I were desperate, I'd probably put a little vinegar out in a small bowl, and cut up an orange or some other citrus fruit and put it in a bowl in my room.... Never tried this, but then I always keep Orange Mate Mist in the house....

Quote:
I just LOVE the ACV and so do my chicks! I heard that it should not be used to clean the metal food dispenser tho, so I haven't used it on much other then the water because I didn't get the reason behind not using it on the metal dispenser but i didn't want to take any chances?

Too late at night, I can't find the words to describe why not to use it on metal, but you are right, don't do it. Although I am not sure if wiping the metal brooder with it would harm it as much as it sitting in a metal waterer. Maybe someone else might know if it could be wiped on it.

Quote:
okay thanks for the info! Hope someone else could give me more insight as to whether or not ACV would be a good cleaner! I would love to use it cause I love the smell and it is cheap!

Back
Top Bottom