how to keep poultry off the top of the waterer?

Have you tried using a upside-down funnel to put on the top? It's round, but the angle is too steep for most birds to perch. I'd recommend looking at the auto parts stores for one, and getting a black or muted color that they won't pick too much. Another suggestion which may be more difficult depending on how close you are to water is called a rat guard. They're placed around the mooring lines leading to ships and keep rodents from scurrying aboard. Same idea as the funnel since it's conical in shape and they come in metal and plastic. These would be larger than the funnel, and because of it may be more appropriate for outdoor feeders. Just an idea...
duc.gif

We used a plastic squirrel baffle for a birdfeeder. I used an exacto knife to carve out the hole in the middle so it fit over the waterer handle. When they got a little older they stopped perching there and we took it off.
feedwater.jpg

Last edited:
I use plastic feed buckets I hang from a chain that hangs from a hook in the ceiling. I have found the water stays cleaner that way, too.

Quote:
great idea
clap.gif
I hadnt thought of that
mine kept roosting on top of the feeder, i resorted to cutting 2 1 gallon milk jugs into feeders and hanging them.

Well, the coop isn't quite so spotless now!! That was after about 3 weeks of habitation. It still looks pretty good, but not like that!
Stacey

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom