How to keep the coop warm?

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
We installed a second window in the coop and this one is able to open so in the summer they have airflow and a breeze and gave them another vent bc of winter they need more air flow but now the coop is not as warm as it usually is. I'm gonna be adding on the bedding with straw but is there anything I can do to keep it a little bit warmer for when winter hits.

I agree with aart.

Having a dry, draft free coop with lots of ventilation is far better than trying to keep a coop warm. Condensation in heated coops settles on chickens combs and wattles leading to increased cases of painful frostbite.

I monitor inside humidity and outside humidity. My goal is to have them match. If inside humidity is more than 5% above outside humidity I open windows and clean the coop.

Each bird is already wearing a down coat. If they have been allowed to acclimate to the weather changes they have grown new/additional feathers to keep them warm.

We installed a second window in the coop and this one is able to open so in the summer they have airflow and a breeze and gave them another vent bc of winter they need more air flow but now the coop is not as warm as it usually is. I'm gonna be adding on the bedding with straw but is there anything I can do to keep it a little bit warmer for when winter hits.
With adequate ventilation, inside the coop should be about the same temp and humidity as outside the coop. They will be fine at colder temps, unless you have tiny seramas or frizzles.
Is this your first winter?
First winter can sure be nervous making, but remember... they are wearing down coats.

That is not deep litter, it is deep bedding and will not make the coop warmer.

The terms 'deep litter' and 'deep bedding' are often misunderstood and misapplied.
I've always liked this explanation:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-method-with-this-coop.1075545/#post-16440037

Thanks for the replies. Yes this is my first winter and I'm very nervous bc I dont want my babies getting frostbite. Were fixing up this one spot bc we've noticed its gaining moisture on the wall and looks damp so we will be getting that fixed shortly. I dont have a drizzle but I have 1 silkie and mostly nervous for her and my rooster who has a comb bigger than him. I have a orpington who will do just fine, 2 plymouths which I think will be fine, an Australorp who will be fine and and starlight green Eggers I think will be fine idk lol. The inside of the coop is usually now around 40-degrees depends the temp on the outside. Anything else I didnt answer?
Do not try to keep the coop warm in NJ. They don't need warmth. They need oxygen and the ventilation that will keep the humidity down.
They won't get cold like you do. They are wearing a winter coat 24/7. They are chickens, not tropical parrots.

It totally depends on where you live if your winters get below freezing point. But you definitely want a dry coop. I always use a heat lamp here (the coldest it gets usually is like 10 degrees) with a frame to make sure that nothing catches on fire. When outside starts getting colder, start checking inside your coop to see the temp. You can check out TSC for a heat lamp.
Heat lamps are very dangerous, and not needed unless your ambient temps are well below zero for extended periods.
With adequate ventilation, inside the coop should be about the same temp and humidity as outside the coop. They will be fine at colder temps, unless you have tiny seramas or frizzles.
Is this your first winter?
First winter can sure be nervous making, but remember... they are wearing down coats.

I monitor inside humidity and outside humidity. My goal is to have them match. If inside humidity is more than 5% above outside humidity I open windows and clean the coop.
I have not thought about doing this, great idea! I actually keep a digital temp gauge with a humidity gauge inside the coop, as I was worried about the heat and ventilation during the summer. Thanks, I start looking at this as I have wondered if I had good ventilation or a bad draft keep things stink free in the coop.

Where the moisture spot is is where like well they have a barn roof and so the moisture spot is mostly likely coming from where is rains so were gonna give it a gutter kinda thing so it goes off instead of sits. And the venting any ideas

It looks like the moisture is wicking up from the wall touching the ground. If so perhaps a shallow trench can be dug along that wall and filled with rock to keep it from sitting in the wet.

Pics of the outside will help us to see how much if any roof overhang you have in order to help with placing vents.

Back
Top Bottom