How to keep the coop warm?

I monitor inside humidity and outside humidity. My goal is to have them match. If inside humidity is more than 5% above outside humidity I open windows and clean the coop.
I have not thought about doing this, great idea! I actually keep a digital temp gauge with a humidity gauge inside the coop, as I was worried about the heat and ventilation during the summer. Thanks, I start looking at this as I have wondered if I had good ventilation or a bad draft keep things stink free in the coop.

Thanks for the replies. Yes this is my first winter and I'm very nervous bc I dont want my babies getting frostbite. Were fixing up this one spot bc we've noticed its gaining moisture on the wall and looks damp so we will be getting that fixed shortly. I dont have a drizzle but I have 1 silkie and mostly nervous for her and my rooster who has a comb bigger than him. I have a orpington who will do just fine, 2 plymouths which I think will be fine, an Australorp who will be fine and and starlight green Eggers I think will be fine idk lol. The inside of the coop is usually now around 40-degrees depends the temp on the outside. Anything else I didnt answer?
Do not try to keep the coop warm in NJ. They don't need warmth. They need oxygen and the ventilation that will keep the humidity down.
They won't get cold like you do. They are wearing a winter coat 24/7. They are chickens, not tropical parrots.

Here's the pictures u wanted
20201006_150642.jpg
20201006_150557.jpg
20201006_150654.jpg

Attachments

• 20201006_150654.jpg
    20201006_150654.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201006_150654.jpg
    20201006_150654.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 0
Those are the vented areas and the window is open right now bc it's nice out and here's the moisture spot too.
20201006_150645.jpg
20201006_150604.jpg

Attachments

• 20201006_150604.jpg
    20201006_150604.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 0
Can you get a pic of the outside of the coop at the moisture spot?

I think you need more venting too.
Where the moisture spot is is where like well they have a barn roof and so the moisture spot is mostly likely coming from where is rains so were gonna give it a gutter kinda thing so it goes off instead of sits. And the venting any ideas

Where the moisture spot is is where like well they have a barn roof and so the moisture spot is mostly likely coming from where is rains so were gonna give it a gutter kinda thing so it goes off instead of sits. And the venting any ideas

It looks like the moisture is wicking up from the wall touching the ground. If so perhaps a shallow trench can be dug along that wall and filled with rock to keep it from sitting in the wet.

Pics of the outside will help us to see how much if any roof overhang you have in order to help with placing vents.

It looks like the moisture is wicking up from the wall touching the ground. If so perhaps a shallow trench can be dug along that wall and filled with rock to keep it from sitting in the wet.

Pics of the outside will help us to see how much if any roof overhang you have in order to help with placing vents.
Thank you I will get more pics later

Back
Top Bottom