How to keep them entertained while penned?

Same idea as veggies on string, but I hang a large suet feeder (like for wild birds) in the run & stuff it with cabbage leaves & apple wedges. Sometimes I coat the fruit & veggies in the suet feeder with plain yogurt & roll them in a few wild bird seeds & dried meal worms. Doesn't last long, but they sure have fun! Also, tossing a few cherry tomatoes or seedless grapes in the run for them to chase is fun. You can also purchase or make flock blocks (do a search on this forum for recipes).

You could frame out a "salad bar" like this:
85907_july_15_2011_050.jpg

and plant yummy seeds in it like this:
http://www.groworganic.com/omega-3-chicken-forage-blend-irrigated.html
or
http://www.treatsforchickens.com/products/Chicken-Salad-Seed-Mix.html

Last edited:
I tried a bunch of different veggies and have found that cabbage on a string works best. They love it, it will last two or three days and it's easy to hang. We just put a large eye screw into the stem end and hang it. I think it depends on the chicken but they do seem to get bored if confined for too long. Our 17 week old girls seem to be fine just sitting around but the 2 year old Australorps get bored easily.

Quote:
LOL....you are too funny!

I agree with the hanging veggies...also you can string up some shiny aluminum plates for them to peck at...I do these things in winter because it just stays so cold and snowy for so long I start feeling bad. I wouldn't worry about a day or two too much
smile.png

This rain is getting to be ridiculous. They will soon need a boat to get around their pen. Thank you all for the great ideas! If you have more, keep 'em coming!

If you happen to spot any large tree branches lying around, say after a storm or a strong wind, try tossing one into their run. While moving one of his parts trucks down to the back of our property, my husband managed to hit a 10-foot-tall lilac bush and knock down one of the main trunks. So, I dragged the thing into the run to see what the birds would do with it. They went absolutely bananas, like it was the greatest thing ever to be introduced into chickendom. They picked off all the leaves in the first few days, and now use it for perching on, pecking at, and as "shelter" when they rest. When they seem to be getting bored with it, we move it to a different spot in the run or prop it up a bit against the fence. Presto - it's a brand-new toy!

Back
Top Bottom