HOW TO KEEP WATER FROM FREEZING UNDER 20 BUCKS!

Rode Island Red 2008

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 7, 2008
I just came back from petco go to the fish section look around you will find a fish tank heter choose the 1 that is big for you and buy it i got myne for 15 bucks!
cool.png
cool.png
cool.png
cool.png

Last edited:
That's a very interesting idea. Being a fish owner my concern would be that you cannot allow the water to ever get below the heater or it will burn out.

I'd love to hear how it works for you through the winter.

Thanks Setter4 for sharing that. I am just about to go away for Thanksgiving. My sister is going to look after the chickens, but I don't think she will make it over every day. Tomorrow AM before we leave for the airport, I am planning to buy a heated dog water dish - and was trying to decide if I wanted to put water directly in the dish (and cover most of the open top), or put the waterer inside the dish. Sounds like the latter will work.
smile.png
I don't have a lot of time to figure it out.

Hi vermontgal,

I live in southern vermont and will be interested in knowing if the dog dish works for you. We are trying to do ours off grid. Let us know.

Quote:
My waterer would not fit down inside that's why I put the plastic lid over the top and sat the waterer on that.
I figured if I just put water in the bowl they would roost on the edge and poop in the bowl but if you covered most of the top that just might work.

I made my water heaters out of cookie tins....and a light fixture. Line the inside of the tin with thin foam...drill a hole in the side of the tin, add light fixture...and a small candle light. I sat the heater on a cinderblock ( away from the shaveings) and sat a 3 gallon metal waterer on top of that.....got down to 12 degrees last night.....every other waterer was frozen SOLID....except that one. I am headed to the good will store tomorrow...looking for 7 more cookie tins....and electric candles. These work great!

Back
Top Bottom