1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to keep water from freezing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CottonShaw, Dec 12, 2016.

1. CottonShaw

CottonShaw New Egg

Dec 12, 2016
    Hey there! I'm new to BYC, this is my first winter with a duck, and I was wondering if anyone knows how to keep their drinking water from freezing up? I've heard to fill water bottles with salt water and place in their water, has anyone tried this? And does it work?
    Also, my duck has been kicking her eggs out of the nest every morning, why? I'm finding frozen eggs laying on the ground outside her house.

2. Spyderk117

Spyderk117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Hi and welcome to BYC! For water I don't do anything special, I just go outside once in awhile to check and refill their water.
    I think when they kick out their eggs it means the eggs are rotten.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  3. CottonShaw

CottonShaw New Egg

Dec 12, 2016
    This is my first duck so I'm new to duck behavior. I know the eggs aren't fertilized since her companion got killed by a stray dogs few months ago. I've been trying to find another male duck for her but I may have to wait till spring and buy a chick or two.
    I change her water out daily but in the morning I go out to feed her and see a block of ice instead of water lol.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You can buy heated buckets at TSC they work on a thermostat so only come on when temps drop below 35* I have had a few of mine for 5 yrs still working great.

5. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    X2

6. KrisCVT

KrisCVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2015
    MA
    I bought a heated water bowl off amazon...and I sit a fortex black rubber bucket in it....keeps the water from freezing, and also easy to clean because I can lift the bucket out and rinse it if needed. It seems to work to about 15F...that's when there starts to be a light layer of ice that starts to form on the top.

this is the bowl I bought...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y8GQ56/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by