How to kill a rooster? HELP

Quote:
I never said chicken blood was used in blood sausage,I just said its extremly rich in nutrition.

Do you have any suggestions or experience with using it? I know it won't be wasted if I use it as fertilizer, but I am all ears for a way to incorporate it into something edible. I guess I was hoping someone would say it COULD be used for blood sausage, since I don't know enough about the various blood chemistries to know if it is much different.

IF chicken blood is used as a fertilizer, will that attract wild animals to my property?
If, when we do the deed, the roos, that is, we get blood everywhere, will we attract animals from that too? We border 16000 hectares of crown land..... coyotes, bears, raccoons, skunks, predator birds and much more are here in this area. My chickens are petty much well secured, but it is not fort knox. I dont know if anyone has tried to get in, but I don't want to encourage anyone.

Some people will put them in a plastic bag and sufficate them that way. I do not think that this method is very humane.

How many of you here have cut yourself with a sharp while fixing dinner and it was so fast it didn't even really hurt when it happened. And I know from personal experience (was a med procedure mishap) that it doesn't hurt when your blood is rapidly pumping out of your body...you just get suddenly very, very tired and start drifting off to sleep almost instantly. So that is why I prefer the cone and a VERY sharp knife, as I feel it's the most humane.

I'm not very experienced in dispatching roosters in any way, shape or form; just finding the discussion interesting. My first experience with slaughtering roosters came about a month ago when some roosters a neighbour had given me were old enough to do in. I did a ton of reading and asking around and decided to go with cervical dislocation as my method. This involved holding the rooster's legs in my left hand and bending its head up with my right hand, then yanking hard in either direction with both hands. This worked pretty well but since it was my first time and I'm not super strong or experienced I probably could have yanked a little harder, though I did sever the spine in the first yank. After the first one, I decided to try the "broomstick" method to see if that was easier. I ended up yanking the head straight off of that one! I did the other three in using the broomstick method but pulling less hard on the legs and that worked really well. I actually found that the one whose head I yanked completely off was the messiest as far as blood being in the carcass when eviscerating. The others seemed to have bled out completely into the cavity in the neck created by the spinal cord dislocation and were really clean when I was gutting them.

Last edited:
No disrespect intended but some of these method seem rather barbaric. I like to honor the life of the bird as much as I can even when slaughtering.

I follow the method outlined in Adam Danforth's "bible" on slaughtering and butchering. I begin by pithing the animal to cause instant pain-free death. Then, if I plan to butcher the chicken I will cut both jugulars and drain completely.

Pithing not only causes instant death but it causes the skin follicles to relax which allows for easier plucking - even dry plucking if desired. Victorianox makes a poultry knife which works perfectly for this use.

/Indy

We do it the hatchet style. Very fast and simple but It can be pretty messy and we wanna try the cone method eventually. Like another mentioned already, we put the bodies in a bucket and let them thrash and bleed in the bucket. Sometimes they are a little more jerky and we manually hold them down until the body settles. Probably not the best way but its how we have done it. We see it as instant death as we don't want them to be too stressed when butchering.

With the few roosters that I've killed, I prefer to hang them up side down,low to the ground and shoot them in the back of the head with a 22. They die instantly and don't flop around near as much as when chopping of the head, and they bleed out really well or the blood is collected in the head or after killing them you can remove the head and let them bleed out better that way.
But most of time I think it is just a matter of preference like you said, and what seems the most humane to the person doing the deed.
That's what I do to!

My MIL steps on their head and pulls it off
hide.gif

The only time I've ever had to do it, I just wrung (wrang/wrung/whatever) their neck, then held them down until they quit flopping. I've only had to do it once to an evil roo.
OMG! I wish I was that tough!

Back
Top Bottom