How to know hen is egg bound

Sep 6, 2020
I have a Cayuga was has been laying for maybe 6 weeks. We let her keep her clutch in hopes she would go broody. Eventually she had about 20 and did show much signs of laying on them or going broody so ended up taking them to incubate. That was a little less than a week ago. She laid an egg the day after and hadn’t since. She was laying everyday before. I’m notice she is now limping as well. I don’t know much about egg bound ducks was curious as to the signs and how to fix if that is the problem.

My older Rouen, Daphne, gets egg-bound every time the season changes :barnie. She becomes lethargic, and sits in a hidden spot straining (tail moves up and down abnormallly, it’s pretty obvious). Her appetite decreases, and she also limps. I read that the limping can occur when the egg presses on one of the nerves. I often can not feel an egg, as she usually ends up having issues with oversized soft-shelled eggs. Sometimes, a dose of Calcium Gluconate + a warm bath helps. Sometimes, she needs an emergency vet visit. She always looks like she’s about to die when she’s egg-bound.

Anyways, it is certainly a very serious condition. Do you have any local Vets that see ducks?

Back
Top Bottom