How to know how much to feed them for best egg production?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicken-keeper, May 10, 2009.

1. chicken-keeper

chicken-keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    UK
    I have golden comets and they have a large run which is full of grass ext, i also buy them all in one pellets with grit minerals ext in. How much should i be giving them each a day..... will they just keep eating if i keep feeding? Or will they stop?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    If you offer feed as free choice they will eat what they need. Also if you are looking for better egg production try offering some feed mixed with yogurt or water with ACV as a "treat". You can also add chopped cooked egg or other high protein things to make their "treat even more nutritious.

Now that we are starting our second flock we are really focusing on their diet and cutting out treats of low nutritional value. [​IMG]

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:On an all mash/pellet diet, four ounces or so is the recommended norm.
    If you want convenience for you, the do as rdranch suggests. Just keep the feeder full.

There are other ways we could discuss, and if you like, we can get into them. Just say the word. If you are happy with the reponses so far, you are set.

==================================================================

Personally, when a prepared ration available, would buy nothing specifically for them. Yogurt, organic ACV and other enhancements, are okay, I suppose and I've tried that stuff - and I couldn't tell it was worth the trouble. Keep a well-drained, clean chicken run, well mulched, raked and free of accumlated manure and I wager you wont need them, either.

Since you have vigorous hybrid sex-links, there wont be much succulent grass remaining before long. So, I would hang green feedstuffs for them, about 18 inches high for a midday feeding.
    Tacked to a wall or tied to a stake in the yard is sufficient.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  4. chicken-keeper

chicken-keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    UK
    Quote:im not feeding them egg incase they get the sent then start eating there onw eggs raw [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by